Installing Dimmer Switch

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by bra, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Oct 29, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Hi,
    I installed a dimmer switch to my bedroom light switch and it didnt work right. It kept turning the lights off in the other room. What could have caused this? (besides me not knowing what I was doing) I did follow the instructions to a T but there were no trouble shooting advices enclosed.

2. Nov 2, 2006
    traveller

traveller New Member

Other than dim, rather than simply switch off and on, a dimmer switch should not do anything that the existing light switch did not. Perhaps the power to the second room is a spur off your bedroom in which case you are switching the common feed to it.

If you are unsure, then perhaps you should enlist the help of an electrician. I have now rewired extensively but I had to call in help the first couple of times I came across something unusual.

3. Nov 12, 2006
    louisgodwin

louisgodwin New Member

Don't feel bad. I once had a professional electrician come over to install three ceiling fans in. Two of them went up perfectly. But there was one in the master bedroom. I thought everything was okay until about an hour after the guy left. It was then that I turned the fan off and my bedroom television turned off with it along with all the electrical outlets for my living room that were shared on the common wall with the bedroom.

4. Dec 17, 2006
    sweet_mayhem

sweet_mayhem New Member

oh that sure is awful! that kind of thing only happens to us when my father repairs our main electricity outlet.

5. Dec 23, 2006
    milly

milly New Member

obviously there is a problem in the internal wiring somewhere. Try to get an electrician to repair. If you tried it yourself - maybe you will not be able to locate the internal fault fast enough and something else may decide to start acting weirdly !!

6. Jan 13, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Yep it sounds as if your wiring is to blame and not something you want to try and fix yourself. It sounds like the wiring to the next room is a spur from the room with the dimmer so that when you turn the dimmer down it stops the electricity going to the next room.

7. Oct 6, 2011
    connor

connor New Member

actron air conditioner

You will probably have to run new wires for the dimmer to work with only the light (incandescent only). Most ceiling fans have a separate switch for lights and fan speed. This might be a difficult project for someone unless they know electrical work.