How'd you get started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fryar, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Mar 12, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

How did everyone get started in this hobby or a similar one? I'm wanting to eventually buy a house, fix it up and resell it once the market gets back on track. I'm trying to learn a bit of woodworking here and there.

2. Mar 14, 2012
    wingding

wingding New Member

Growing up, my family owned a restaurant with an inn/motel, as well as a number of rental properties, camps, etc. Spending a lot of time with my father, uncle, and grandfather during that time, I learned a lot about repairs and remodeling.

Back then I always thought to myself, "why don't you just hire someone to do this junk?!" But, now that I own multiple properties, I can understand why. My time doesn't exactly cost as much as a carpenter, electrician, plumber, etc.

I'll propose a change to the old "Time is Money" adage... "My time is money, just not as much as it costs to fix this."

3. Mar 20, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I don't know. I sort of think it's in my blood. My grandpa owned a motel when I was growing up, and I was around a lot of construction and repairs. My father was a tremendous handyman too, and I watched him a lot. I just genuinely enjoy it.

4. Mar 21, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

I became a fireman and we started doing things around the fire house and in our spare time. I had lots of time off when we weren't busy and picked up the skills. Now I'm thinking of going into this full time when I retire from my fireman's job.

5. Mar 21, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

Well,. when you have to make repairs and maintain a house, you either need lots of money or the ability to do it yourself. I don't have lots of money so there you go. I did know some things because many people in my family have some skills in construction, too.

6. Apr 7, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

We were the same way. We had things that needed to get done around the house and always having to pay someone to do them can get expensive. We just started taking care of what we could and for those big projects that we just didn't know how to do, we would hire someone.

7. May 1, 2012
    TileLindsey

TileLindsey New Member

I'm a housewife and I'm not really skilled when it comes to woodworking and anything,.. Since my husband is busy with his work, and he doesn't have time to do or even learn this kind of things, one day I realized that I have to learn this.. I have some ideas but I can't put it on practice because of lack of skills. But I believe great works came from bright ideas,.. lol,