Easy way to tell a load-bearing wall?

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by MsFixIt, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Mar 21, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

I want to make some layout changes in my basement. I have a small apartment down there plus my laundry room. What I'd like to do is gut most of it and change the layout so it's NOT an apartment. Once I get it waterproofed, I'd like to move some walls but I have no idea whether some of them are load-bearing walls or not.

2. Mar 22, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I'm pretty sure you will have to get up into your attic and see which way the joists are running. How large your home is, and how complicated it is, is also a factor. I don't think there's an easy way, actually. I would hire a professional to find out for sure. This is critical, and you don't want to make a costly error if not done right.

3. Mar 23, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Check your attic first so you can get an idea. If your house is simple enough, that may be all you need to do to figure it out. Otherwise, hire someone to help you.

4. Mar 23, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

There are two full floors between the basement and the attic. Will I still be able to tell from looking at the joists? Does that mean that the same load bearing walls are in each floor throughout a building? I know a lot of handyman type stuff but this is beyond me.

5. Mar 26, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I believe you should consult with a building engineer. They will be able to tell you if it's load-bearing or not, and how to remove it safely. I think most towns require a building permit before removing walls, and the permit won't be granted without an engineer's report. Have you checked into this?