Plumbing too fast?

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by lyricb, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

When we flush a toilet or run the dishwasher in the house it sounds a little like a helicopter flying overhead...we had a plumber out on an unrelated thing and he said he thinks the water comes into our house too fast and they could fix it for $200. Does anyone here know about this stuff? If a plumber is only charging $200 I'm wondering if I can go to the home improvement store and get everything I need for $20.

2. Oct 26, 2006
    artapia

artapia New Member

What is happening is the water comes in fast and makes the pipes( probable copper) rattle in the walls. The solution is to find out were it is doing it and add some pipe braces to the pipes. Another solution is to add a water damper to the pipe. The damper must be plumbed into the effected pipe. The damper acts as a shock absorber for the water. The first solution is the easiest. This is a simple fix if you can get to the effected pipe.

3. Oct 26, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

My husband is a plumber and this is what he thinks the problem might be. He said you either need a pressure regulator at the entrance to the house (but check it with a special gauge first) or the pipes need a "water hammer." One for the hot and one for the cold. Here's what I found online:

A Single Bang, Knock, Clunk or Clang

Such sounds are usually caused by a phenomenon called 'water hammer.' Water hammer doesn't accompany flowing water, so if your sound occurs while water is running, it isn't water hammer.

Water hammer happens when you turn OFF a water flow suddenly (like a dishwasher, a clothes washer, a toilet or even closing a hand faucet suddenly. Shutting off the flow suddenly sends a pressure or shock wave down the water line through the water shocking the pipes and creating the 'hammer' noise. These shock waves travel faster than the speed of sound and can exert very great instantaneous pressures. Over time, water hammer can damage pipes, valves and eventually weaken pipe joints.

Most modern homes have devices called water hammer arresters ( they're called various things such as air chamber, air cushion, water capacitor, etc.) . They are air filled chambers connected to the plumbing that let the pressure wave dissipate harmlessly into a cushion of air. If your banging has been happening forever you may not have one.

Sometimes these arresters become waterlogged. Try this. Turn off the water to the house at the entry. Find the lowest faucet in your house--often this is an outdoor garden hose faucet--open this faucet and then open a few of the indoor faucets at high locations such as upstairs or at a wet bar and let the low faucet drain for 5 minutes or until it stops dripping, whichever takes longer. Close all the faucets and turn the main back on. Note: When you first start using water again there will be air in the lines and it may spit and sputter with some vigor.

If this fixes it you have a defective or waterlogged arrester.

Hope this helps. :)

4. Oct 27, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

Oh my gosh mamab, I didn't even realize until I read your post that we ALSO have the issue of when the water is suddenly shut off there is a big "ka-klunk!" sound. So that means we have more than one issue.