Low water pressure?

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by tater03, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Oct 28, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I have low water pressure in our house. The weird thing is it is not all the time. I ususally notice this about a couple times a week. I don't even no where to begin on what could be causing this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. Oct 28, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

So it isn't all the time, and doesn't seem to be tied to other water running in the house? Weird. I have no idea.

3. Oct 29, 2006
    handystan

handystan New Member

The only way their would be low pressure is if something is running or you have a leek. I suggest putting a water pressure gauge on your outdoor faucet or a water heater. It is a good place to start.

4. Oct 29, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I will have to try this. I know it does seem weird because it isn't tied to any other thing running at the same time in the house. I just hope it's nothing major.

5. Oct 29, 2006
    echos

echos New Member

Hey, 1st thing, Do you have municipal water ? or your own set-up? I know where I am the water pressure is frightfull. An old timer in our city told me I was on the wrong side of town for there to be any water pressure. Sound like you? Sometimes where worse than others. Usually evenings., when everyone is home, I guess? Echos

6. Oct 30, 2006
    louisgodwin

louisgodwin New Member

The first thing I would is go around the house, turn off all water faucets completely. Make sure no water is running. Then go outside to where your water company checks the meter every month and see if the meter is moving. If it's perfectly still, then there's no leak, and the problem must be something related to your water company.

7. Oct 31, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

Thank you Louisgodwin I would have never thought of doing this. I am so loving that I found this forum. Having just bought the house not to long ago we want to do a lot of different things and I sure am finding a lot of helpful people here. Being that it doesn't seem to happen all the time I am leaning towards it being a problem with the water company.

8. Oct 31, 2006
    echos

echos New Member

One more thought. My grandmother had a very old house with horriable water pressure and it turned out to be a small break in the pipe that connected her to the street. Very hard to spot ,but city crews were finally able to fix her up, just an experience, Echos

9. Nov 8, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

I had no idea that the city could have something to do with water pressure. I truly learn something new every time I log on to this site.

10. Nov 9, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

There's something else I didn't know. Wow, I'm learning new stuff left and right. lol

I hadn't heard of having low water pressure before without it being related to other things running in a house. Please let us know what you finally determine the problem to be.

11. Dec 27, 2006
    techluck

techluck New Member

We have low water pressure too, and it is definitely because of leaks. Our water is hard and keeps causing small leaks in our pipes. A real pain. I wonder if anyone can recommend a solution to this?

12. Jan 20, 2007
    dumbledork

dumbledork New Member

I hope this is not too late to help, but you may want to ask your neighbors if they have the same problem. If they do, and you find out that it is a problem with the city you may want to join or form a neighborhood association and bring it to the city that way. When we are revitilizing these old neighborhoods there is power in numbers.