Clogged drain in shower and sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by hammers, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Mar 28, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

I plunged out my sink today - I first tried baking soda and vinegar first. You should have seen the black crap that came up. I am looking for help - I need a tool that will help "snake" the drains - not a professional tool but something that works like the snake. Anyone know what I need?

2. Mar 28, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I love the old vinegar and baking soda in the drain trick. I might be wrong, but I am pretty sure my grandpa used one of those handheld snake tools, when my tub drains backed up. I have no clue where he bought it, though. Probably at Home Depot or Lowe's.

3. Mar 29, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Yes, I would check Home Depot or Lowes. I'm sure there is some sort of "snake" tool that you can use on your drains. For sinks, though, you can just open up the cabinet underneath, take out the bend, and clean it by hand. Usually that's where clogs happen.

4. Apr 8, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Well I kept dumping 2 liter bottles of Coke into the drains and they finally let go! :) I have not found a handheld snake yet! I'm going to keep looking. I don't want to spend a ton of money on one.

5. Apr 8, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Why do you still need a snake if it came unclogged? Is it for future use? I'm going to try the coke next time. It cost about 7 or 8 dollars for a bottle of liquid draino, and I usually have to do it twice!

6. Apr 12, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Yes, it seems ours clog a ton - its gotta be the long hair on the ladies of the house. I would like one to use in the future. I don't like pouring stuff down the drain.

7. Apr 22, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

We have long haired people in our house, and the drains seem to clog up often, too. Buying a snake such as one your talking about, hammers, sounds like a good idea. It would save money and then i wouldn't have to run out and buy draino or something.

8. Apr 30, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

I always use the Coke trick too but ours don't really clog up that often. I try really hard to keep my long hair out of the drain and I clean the trap out often. I believe you can get a snaking tool at any hardware or home improvement store.