A modern bathroom

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by eldragon, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Oct 29, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

The first things we had to do when we moved into our 115 year old house, last year, was gut the bathrooms, one and a time and re-do them.

One of our bathrooms is completely mdoern now - with a brand new stand-up shower stall made of stainless steel and glass. Along with new lighting and tile, this shower really made the bathroom a favorite part of our house.

2. Oct 29, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I love the new modern stuff you can get when redoing a bathroom now. I love the his and her shower heads. Our bathrooms really are not that big though. So the first thing we need to do with ours is make them bigger. Hopefully we can afford to do this sometime next year. Enjoy your new bathroom it sounds awesome.

3. Oct 30, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

I think we'll be going this route when the kids are old enough to take showers. Right now it's only baths for them, and I really would like to tear that out and put a standing shower in there.

4. Oct 30, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

I didn't think about babies taking showers!

My youngest is 9.

That's the best thing about living in an old house - modernizing the kitchen and bathroom!

5. Oct 31, 2006
    felice206

felice206 New Member

I am about to help a friend with remodeling her bathroom, I'm quite amazed all the neat things that you can now install. She's planning on both a bath and seperate shower as she's got 3 young ones at the moment.

6. Oct 31, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

Also, we ordered our shower enclosure online. That way, we not only had a better selection then local stores, but also, the item was delivered without a hassle.

This day and age of great communication via the internet, is awesome.

7. Oct 31, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

Bath and seperate shower?? Your bathrooms must be a lot bigger than mine! We have 1 1/2 baths in our house, and just the standard tub with shower head in it. The worst thing is the color - lemony yellow. The bathroom is too small to do anything fancy with it, but I would love a new color tub!

8. Oct 31, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

You could have it re-enameled if you like the tub proper...there's a lot to be said for just a nice standard white, isn't there? :)

In our bath in a home built in the 90's, the builders used carpet in the master bathroom. Who thought THAT was a good idea? Sooner or later, we intend to replace it with tile...

9. Nov 3, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

My brother and his wife recently bought a house that's 94 years old. It needs some work, so they're slowing doing the house room by room. They did one of the bathrooms already and I loved that they combined both modern things with some of the original fixtures. I forget what they're called, but you know the bathtubs that sit on 4 legs? They still have the original in the house. It's lasted so long and it's still in really good condition. They put new fixtures on the tub and the sink and painted it and I love it. I think the combination of modern style and classic style can be put together very well.

10. Nov 7, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

I sure wish we had the room to redo our bathroom! Our house was built in 1977. Our second floor is nothing but a short hallway, 3 BR and 2BA. The original owner replaced the tub (still just a regular old tub) In order to get the tub into the master bath, they have to cut a hole in the wall! So, I don't see us doing that much in there in the near future.

I REALLY want a garden tub. I *love* hot baths!! I wish there was a way to get some more room so I could finally have my terrific tub.

Your modern shower sounds wonderful!!

11. Nov 8, 2006
    penguinmama

penguinmama New Member

A clawfoot tub? Those things are worth BIG BUCKS these days - especially originals in good shape. They were wise to keep it!

I like the sound of the modern shower the original poster mentioned, also :)

Our bathrooms are quite small, too. One thing my husband would like to do eventually is make bathrooms where the tub/shower are in a separate room than the sink/toilet. That way people could still use the toilet while someone is taking a shower, if necessary! And with five children, it's likely to be necessary at some point ;-)

Oh, and as for babies/showers - my 1-year-old enjoys showers as much as - or more than! - baths. :)

12. Nov 16, 2006
    GloryB

GloryB New Member

I dream of modernizing our bathroom, but I want to add a big bath because I hate showers. But we have to expand, a standard tub wouldn't fit where our shower is.

GloryB