xerascape

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by dumbledork, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Nov 5, 2006
    dumbledork

dumbledork New Member

I live in the southwest so I am looking at saving water in my front yard. I currently have no landscaping but when I do put in landscaping in front I don't want it to look like a yard of rock. I know that there are a lot of different plants that don't require much water, but I don't know how to plan the yard or how to run the water to the plants. Is anyone an expert on landscaping?

2. Nov 9, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

I think you mean "xeriscape". :)

There's a ton of help out there for someone in AZ who wants to do a xeriscape, and no, you don't need to have a yard of rock. Try High Country Gardens, first off, and visit the local library or bookstores. (You won't believe how many books there are on xeriscaping.) You might also try your nearest botanical garden, most of which maintain a staff of Master Gardeners besides the official ones who will answer questions.

3. Dec 27, 2006
    SeeMe

SeeMe New Member

Home Depot also has a great book on Xeriscaping. It's called Landscaping 1-2-3 and each book is broken out by zone. We live in Arizona, so we wanted some pretty hardy plants that don't need a lot of water or a lot of trimming, but also not cactus! It's easier to find exactly what you are looking for than you think, and most of the plant nurseries also have a lot of people that can help you pick out what you are looking for.

4. Aug 15, 2008
    eleet34

eleet34 New Member

I live in the southwest and Plumbego's seem to grow well even in drier areas.