Wiring electrical outlets - 12 gauge wire, 20 amp breaker, 15 amp receptacles / outlets

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by Nifty, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Sep 12, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

I'm wiring my office and I have 12 gauge wire running throughout that goes to a 20 amp breaker.

I'd like to just use 15 amp receptacles / outlets, but it looks like they are designed for 14 gauge wire.

From what I've read, since I'm going to be using multiple 15 amp receptacles, it will be fine in this configuration.

One thing that stinks is that I have to pigtail the wire vs. just sticking it into the outlets back plugs. Pig-tailing / wrapping / curling 12 gauge wire sure is a pain!

Any thoughts or ideas?

2. Sep 12, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

get rid of the back wired outlets. you are just looking for trouble. sure its a pain to loop the wire ends for around the screws but you are better off in the long run. those beryllium springs loosen up and those wires can pull out!

3. Sep 12, 2013
    Montyj

Montyj New Member

I agree with Hayzee. NEVER use the stab in's. And if you use 15A outlets on a 20A circuit make sure you never exceed 15A over the entire circuit. The 15A rating applies to the entire outlet, including the strip between the screw terminals. An overload will cause that outlet to catch fire. Also do yourself a favor and do not pigtail the outlets. Power in on one set of screws, power out on the other. Pigtails with wire nuts are just one more connection to fail over time. It's electricity. Do it right the first time. Personally, I would always use 20A outlets on a 20A circuit because you never know what the future might require.

4. Sep 12, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Around here, #15 wire is used only for lighting and #20 wire is required for outlets. IMHO it is well worth doing right. I always wrap the wire around the terminal. It takes a bit longer, but the connection will last.

5. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I used to wire houses with a combination of #14 and #12. I found it cheaper in the long run to stock just #12 romex, then if I needed something larger, just to go get it.