Which colour is good for bedroom?

Discussion in 'Painting and Interior Design' started by papia, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nov 16, 2006
    papia

papia New Member

Indigo is not suitable for areas for entertainment but for more 'quiet' places. Bedrooms, treatment rooms. Some people find indigo is helpful for studying so this colour could be used as part of the decor of a library or study. Do you love indigo?

2. Nov 16, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

I like the color indigo, but not necessarily as a wall color. It is a bit too bright for me. I like cool colors, but not as bold. I love blues, and my kitchen is painted a beautiful greyish blue by Martha Stewart.

3. Nov 16, 2006
    riskey58

riskey58 New Member

I personally think that color is bright for me. I prefer more earth tone colors myself.

4. Dec 12, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

I picture indigo as a very dark purplish blue. I like bright or dark colors on walls. I can't stand these decorating shows where they are painting everything white, off-white, beige, tan, taupe, and other really boring colors.

5. Dec 13, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

I agree, "neutral" colors are boring. However, I understand they sometimes use them as a base to display art. I don't think art museums have a lot of color on the walls.

I would like a nice green for a bedroom, but we haven't gotten around to painting in there yet.

6. Dec 15, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

We just painted our bedroom a very pale green. It's like mint green. Our ceilings are 12 feet high and the color looks great.

Depending no how large your room is and how much natural light there is - you do not want to have dark walls.

7. Dec 15, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

That's what my mother always says elddragon. You should have white or light walls to open up the space. I don't like open space. I want my house to be a series of cozy little rooms :) I dislike open floor plans too... but that is another topic.

8. Dec 16, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

I learned this by accident, really. In our last house, which was small - we let our dogs come inside at night.

A german shepherd and a Great Pyranees - they would lay down with their feet up on the walls. It was impossible to keep the walls clean. We decided to paint the walls a dark blue - big mistake.

It made our living room look like a dark, tiny, closet and was nearly impossible to cover when we sold the place.

In our new house - the dogs stay outside.

9. Dec 16, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

Well, that is very true that it would be nearly impossible to cover. My childhood room was painted a VERY dark purple. Now, my Dad wants to sell the house and I get to repaint the room!

10. Dec 16, 2006
    sweet_mayhem

sweet_mayhem New Member

i do love the color indigo! but while i won't paint all the walls in my room with it, i may consider painting them white and applying horizontal indigo lines on the walls to heighten the ceiling and, of course, jazz the room up. too bad most of our walls are boring with a white paint coating them.

11. Jan 14, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Everyone has their own taste but for me if I want a room to appear relaxing and stress free then I use pastel shades of green. I have always found these colours help in rooms which you may wish to work in or just generally relax.

12. Jan 19, 2007
    milly

milly New Member

Dark colours are restricting - in that they constrict space and lead to depression and a sense of claustrophobia.
    The lighter the colour - the harder it is to maintain - but it is more soothing to the eye.

13. Jan 20, 2007
    Farrahcat

Farrahcat New Member

Really? I should never use dark colors then. I'm prone to depression. :eek: Actually, I am never fond of dark colors nor the bright ones. I prefer pastel colors.

14. Sep 24, 2007
    kav

kav New Member

I think mint green or even lavender would make a great color for a bedroom wall. It's soft and soothing and makes you feel lighthearted. :) I wanted to paint the outside of the house in indigo for any columns and lavender for the other areas, my husband said, no way.

15. Dec 15, 2009
    austin8979

austin8979 New Member

It depends on what sort of mood you want to create in your room, like if you want a happy, jolly mood you can go for a bright colors, or if you want a calm effect you can go for calm colors like gray, or pastel colors...