What to do with pond when winter sets in?

Discussion in 'Pools, Ponds, and Fountains' started by tater03, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

We have a pond and I was wondering what do you do with the fish when the weather starts getting cold? Do you leave them in the pond? Or do you have to bring them inside. This pond was here when we moved in so not sure what to do with the fish? Thanks

2. Oct 27, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

It really depends on how deep the pond is and what part of the world you live in - how cold your winters get.

I live in New Jersey, and my fish overwinter outside in the pond that is about 2 feet deep at the deepest. I do go out and try to keep the ice open on the top of the pond.

3. Oct 27, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I live in the northeast and it gets pretty cold here. Our pond is a little over two feet deep so I would think it would be deep enough. Thanks for your help.

4. Oct 28, 2006
    echos

echos New Member

Wow, I never tought of that. I just keep the fish in mine, but I am on the coast so its a bit warmer. One thing I do is cover it with black plastic and have vents for the fishes. I think it keeps the plant life more stable,Echos

5. Oct 30, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Hi,
    do they have some type of warmer you can put in the ponds for the cold months?

6. Oct 31, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I didn't realize they sold a warmer for a pond. I will definently have to look into one of these. I was told aslong as the pond doesn't freeze completly they would be fine outside. A warmer would make sure that it doesn't freeze clear through. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Nov 2, 2006
    traveller

traveller New Member

I live in the UK and my pond freezes at some point every winter. The coldest resulted in ice nearly two inches thick on the surface. The pond is 2 feet deep and the fish have always been okay. The only real threat there seem to be for my fish is Herons. :mad:

8. Nov 4, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

Hi guys. :) I know for sure that you have to have a deeper pond in order for them to survive. I'm in Canada, and our winters are long and cold. A friend of mine had a pond in her backyard and it was deep enough that the layer of ice on the top only froze a couple of inches. I think it was just over 2 feet. They can survive a cold winter in a pond no problem. ;) The first year my friend had it she thought she would need a heater as well, but couldn't find one. She was told at the time they'd be ok without one. I don't know if they actually exist, or where you would get one. If that doesn't work, I'm sure you could set up a small heating system from like a hot tub company, or something along those lines.

9. Nov 7, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

Yeah, so long as the pond is pretty deep, it's okay -- but also yes, you can buy a heater, although often just using a bubbler and keeping the water moving will sometimes keep the pond pretty clear of ice. Any of the places that specialize in ponds usually can get you a heater.

10. Dec 26, 2006
    riskey58

riskey58 New Member

Hello

We have a small pond and we have fish in it. My son-in-law takes are fish to his house in the winter and keeps them for us. And then we take the pump out and leave it that way til spring.