Weird kitchen tip.

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by tater03, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nov 16, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I just had to come on here and post what my husband did this past weekend. He hates our counters. We hope to eventually get new ones but of course we cannot afford that right this minute. So we had some really neat looking contact paper that he put on the counter. I thought he was nuts at first. But I do have to admit they look very good. Just thought I would pass that along.

2. Nov 16, 2006
    Feline

Feline New Member

Perhaps a floormat would also make a good and a little bit lasting counter cover. That is what we use at home if we want some places in the house to look better. Floormats can be glued with rugby and fitted to some parts of the walls and mostly on the floor. They would also be easy to clean since you just can wipe them with a rug.

3. Nov 16, 2006
    GloryB

GloryB New Member

You could also use the contact paper on the cabinets to make them match. It's much easier than painting and would match the counters perfectly.

GloryB

4. Dec 14, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

Isn't that what contact paper was for originally? Shelf paper in the cabinets?

Neat to use it on the counter tops I think - although you have to be careful of knicks and other marks

5. Dec 14, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

Good idea, but did you put some silicone caulk around the edges to help keep water out? How long until you think you'll be able to replace the counter tops?

6. Dec 17, 2006
    sweet_mayhem

sweet_mayhem New Member

that's a great idea. i'd like to try that with our own counters since they're kinda getting boring.

7. Dec 17, 2006
    palefrost

palefrost New Member

Is it hard wearing, its a pretty nice idea and gets you out of costly replacement.

8. Dec 19, 2006
    ljk19

ljk19 New Member

Thanks for the tip! I just might do that very same thing. We're in the same situation - hate our countertops but don't have the money right now to replace them. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some contact paper that would look nice.

9. Dec 23, 2006
    milly

milly New Member

A great idea - would make all counters and shelves look bright and new. It may not last too long - so do take care to put silicon to stop the water from going in.
    Must try it in some of my odd looking shelves.

10. Dec 27, 2006
    techluck

techluck New Member

I agree what a great inexpensive idea. I like the idea of doing the cupboards, or part of them at least to match.

11. Dec 30, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

I have enjoyed the use of contact paper. And using them on counter tops is definitely useful. I have done the same thing as well as in the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms. It gives them a refreshing look. I would suggest you go with something that you would like possibly a year from now because it is work to change. I would try and be as neutral as possible.

12. Jan 12, 2007
    sarahlorrain

sarahlorrain New Member

I did this once a while back when I was in High School. We didn't have much money, and my dad had made a big counter top out of an old door. It looked horrid, so I bought some contact paper at the Dollar Store, and it made it look sooo much better!

13. Jan 14, 2007
    my_lil_hamma

my_lil_hamma New Member

I have a quick question, I have white counter tops that looked ok until my daughter (God bless her) sat a sizzling pan on the counter and burned it slightly...I've wanted to try the square tiles and just redo all the counter tops in tiles. Has anyone tried this? Do you have to remove the laminate off the counter first? Can you just start glueing tiles down? I think it would look great, but I want it to last.
    Thanks for any help!
    My_LiL_Hamma