Trenchless Sewer Line Repair Re-Piped. Any Experience?

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by Nifty, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Jan 16, 2016
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Every year our old terracotta sewer line gets plugged with tree roots and we have to have it rootered out. A huge mess, super inconvenient, and costly.

I hear radio ads for trenchless re-piping and was wondering if anybody has had it done? A few years ago I got a bunch of general quotes. They range from $3,500 - $7,000 for a 50 foot "pull" of high grade plastic line. That doesn't include city permits which are probably another $1,500. At the time I decided to just deal with it when it happens... but it happened yet again, and this time it was really gross! [​IMG]

We went about 2 years with no problems, but this year we had it back up 6 months ago and again today. I think we're going to have to bite the bullet and get it done.

So, anybody ever have this done? Any thoughts or comments?

2. Jan 18, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Nope! Good luck!

I have heard there is a product (or few) that will kill the tiny roots that get into your lines before they get big enough to cause problems. One good Rotor-Rooter and the periodic application of this product should keep sewer lines free of tree roots and flowing.

That said, however, the reason for tree roots getting into the sewer lines is probably old, broken pipes that should be replaced. Tree roots are insidious! We found them growing from the terrace 80 feet under our basement and up into our high-efficiency furnace for the few drops of water it expelled.

Here is the Google page with that product and a couple of home remedies.

3. Jan 18, 2016
    Nifty

Thanks @Smart Red ! We're going to try some of the chemicals and see how that works and go from there.

4. Jan 18, 2016
    Nifty

Here's the foaming root killer I'm going to try: http://amzn.to/1OsJgub

The reviews are really good and I'm hoping it will keep the roots away. For $20 every 6 - 12 months, it's hopefully going to be a great pro-active fix!

5. Jan 18, 2016
    Nifty

Hmm... since we just got our sewer line cleaned I'm wondering if I should wait until there is a bit more growth before applying this stuff or just do it now?

6. Jan 18, 2016
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Remember that you are just treating the problem. (That's what I'd do as well, 'cuz I'm cheap) but in all probability, your sewer lines are broken and you are only putting off the inevitable.

Give it a month and apply some of the stuff. Roto Rooting only cuts off the roots growing inside the pipe and cut roots actually are encouraged to regrow faster. These chemicals will kill the new root growth and perhaps slow the development of new growth.

7. Jan 18, 2016
    Nifty

Good points! We'll still get a few quotes and determine next steps. Perhaps we'll even have them come out and do a video inspection of the pipes!

8. May 2, 2016
    Daniel martin

Daniel martin New Member

I have to get a quote for my drains as well the floor drain in my basement backs up when we get a lot of rain my house was built in 1963 so I have clay tile I was told the it would be about $5500 to redo the lines did the foaming root killer work for you? ( NIFTY ) I could try that out for know.

9. May 2, 2016
    Nifty

@Daniel martin we haven't had any problems yet, but we've only used it once and it's only been about 4 months. Usually we have to wait a year after we get the line snaked before we know how effective the previous treatments were.

I'm not sure how often or what time of year is best to use the product. I might call and get more details.

10. May 20, 2019
    BaldwinCaleb

BaldwinCaleb New Member

Thanks all for your help, it will help to repair trenchless sewer pipe lining.

11. Jun 3, 2019
    rayrayjeffjeff

rayrayjeffjeff New Member

w
    whoaa too expensive huh