Trees and transformers

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Fryar, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mar 30, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

Our neighbor across the street had all the tree people out in his yard for the past week taking down trees in his front yard. I decided one tree leaning toward the street needed to come down, so I had them do an estimate to take it down. The price they quoted me is twice as much because my tree is next to the transformer and power lines. He is on the other side where there are no power lines. Who knew it cost you extra to have power lines in your yard?

2. Mar 30, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Those transformers are bad news. The tree equipment is metal. Get those trucks with buckets and ladders up there, and the electricity arcs, and you're toast. They may have to send up tree climbers. You probably have to pay the city to turn off the grid, too. It's going to be expensive.

3. Mar 30, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I always thought the electric people took care of trees and or limbs that were close to the lines or transformers. You might check with them and tell them the limbs are getting close to see if they will trim them up. Of course it isn't always pretty once they get through doing it.

4. Mar 31, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Yes, I always thought the power company was responsible for removing any trees near powerlines and transformers. I don't see how that is your responsibility because it is dangerous and poses a threat. I wouldn't pay them a dime.

5. Apr 1, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Certainly call the electric company first. They will probably come and move the lines out of the way. After they are moved the people can cut the tree and it might be cheaper? I don't think the electric company cuts the tree but they have to move the lines.