The Juniper Tree That Fought Back! - Fixing broken sprinkler lines pvc

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Nifty, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Sep 18, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

My wife has been desperately wanting to remove a juniper like tree in front of our house ever since we moved in. The other day a guy was next door digging a pool and in exchange for taking some of his dirt he was willing to pull out some trees.

Unfortunately the roots ran right through a T in our sprinkler line and up it all came with the tree roots.

So, I spend a ton of time yesterday digging out the broken pieces and putting everything back together.

You'll notice in one of the pics that I used WAY more elbows than was needed. We've actually had those sitting around in a bucket for about 9 years and I was about to give them all away. Glad I didn't. It was a little more work to use them instead of straight connectors, but hey, I didn't have to make a trip to the store or buy any new fittings!

Tree:
    tree1.jpg

Cutest tractor ever!
    tree2.jpg

Wife super excited to take out wrath on tree
    tree3.jpg

Destruction from tractor / roots:
    tree4.jpg

New pipes using up old elbows
    tree5.jpg

Tractor also ran over a sprinkler riser so that had to be fixed too:
    tree6.jpg

2. Sep 19, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I don't know about your pvc splicing with all those elbows. Do you know at every ninety degree elbow there is a pressure drop? It may have been better if you spent the extra cash and bought two couplings.

3. Sep 19, 2013
    Nifty

Yup, I got that covered. We've got tons of pressure and the diameter of the supply lines is actually bigger than what we need... in fact they are reduced right before they go to the sprinklers.

Also, the heads are adjustable and I've always had way more pressure than needed and have always had to crank down the volume coming out of the heads, so I knew I had a lot of margin to play with.

4. Sep 21, 2013
    Judy

Judy New Member

Haha! Love it!

Old Southern saying:

Use it up, wear it out,
    Make it do, or do without.

5. Sep 21, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

I like that!

6. Feb 26, 2014
    Nifty

Ugh! I had a pipe / fitting separate and spew tons of water all over the place!

I used "Gorilla Glue" PVC pipe cleaner/primer and glue in one. I've been VERY happy with their other products (original gorilla glue, gorilla glue super-glue, and gorilla tape) but I'm not very happy with this stuff.

7. Feb 27, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I've never tried an all-in-one product to glue PVC, but I'd be angry if that happened here. The whole purpose of gluing is that it stays put.

On the other hand, I have had the purple goo drip onto the floor and ruin a good bathroom floor when we replaced a toilet. Now it looks like someone pooped next to the stool.

8. Feb 27, 2014
    Nifty

hahaha... pooped next to the "stool"... how perfectly appropriate!

9. Mar 1, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Sure, laugh away! It is much funnier when it is someone else's bathroom, ya know.

I am so self-conscious about that nasty stain. I am constantly 'reminding' visitors that the room is clean, just don't look at my stain on the floor. For 40 years the room was great. For the past two years I hate it and want a new floor. Problem? That floor runs into the kitchen. Now we're talking big money and unconcerned spouse. Sigh!

10. Mar 1, 2014
    Nifty

Such a bummer! What kind of flooring is it?

11. Mar 3, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

The kitchen floor is forty year old inlaid vinyl, and one of the few things that date the house back to the 70's. Except for the UGLY PURPLE stain in the bathroom, however, the flooring is still in good shape.

Of course, this wouldn't the first time I've suggested putting tile in the kitchen to DH. It takes weeks years decades to convince DH that he has wanted tile in the kitchen all along. So I have to start really, really early.

I have been thinking of painting over the spot (with anything) light to minimize its visibility. Then I can pretend it isn't there at all in this very small half bath.