Solar Home

Discussion in 'Green Building and Topics' started by handystan, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Jan 14, 2007
    handystan

handystan New Member

Hello

Is anyone here totally off the electrical grid. What solar setup do you have?

I would love to not see my hard earned money leek into the pockets of the utilities. In the next couple of years soar panels are supposed to drop in price.

HandyStan

2. Apr 1, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

My neighbors bought some solar panels that were placed on their roof, but they keep blowing off. They had such troubles we were afraid to get some.

3. Apr 2, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I've heard of some that have gone this way and love it. I'm like you though and waiting until they get a bit cheaper. I've heard they are really expensive even though I think you can write it off of your taxes.

4. Apr 2, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I am glad to hear solar panels might be dropping in price soon. I have really wanted to try some out, but unless they become more affordable, I will not be able to. Why do the solar panels keep falling off your neighbors roof? Can you not mount them down properly, kind of like when you get a satellite mounted on your roof?

5. Apr 2, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I don't know. I'm going to have to find out more. Maybe they just had a poor company install them. Or maybe it's difficult to anchor down on a roof, or something. Since, they probably will come down in price in a few years, I think I'll wait before looking into this again.

6. Apr 2, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I've never heard of solar panels just falling off the roof like that, so I would venture to guess that improper installation is the problem.

I doubt I'd ever go completely off the grid, but when I have some extra money I would love to put some solar panels up.

7. Apr 3, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

People in our neighborhood would object, as do I, to the aesthetic appearance of solar panels. I understand the positives, but in an older, established neighborhood of a certain character, adding them just isn't in the realm of possibility.