So frustrated! Sewer line overflow

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by Nifty, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Feb 27, 2014
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

We have tree roots that get into our old terracotta sewer line every year and block the line and we have to get it rotor rooted out. We've thought about replacing the line, but then we stopped having problems as often.

We had the plumber that usually roots our line come by to help with a toilet issue. While he was here we asked him if we should pro-actively root our sewer line. He said not to worry about it.

Well, two weeks after he was here, a huge backup / clog and a mess! I wish we would have just had him do it anyway while he was here. GRRR!!!

2. Feb 27, 2014
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Ew! That is not fun. If you have a floor drain that backed up, you might want to get one that allows drainage one way only. The City told everyone to get this when their sewer lines backed up during flooding and homeowners tried to sue the City for damages.

We've had sewer backups when tenants (new father) started flushing disposable diapers down the toilet.

3. Feb 27, 2014
    Nifty

4. Mar 13, 2014
    Nifty

Well, this got worse! 2 days after he came to clear out the sewer line it was plugged again!

Fortunately he's a nice guy and didn't charge us for this visit.

I'm thinking it's time that we replace the super old main line to the house... but that's not going to be easy or cheap!

I'd love to do trenchless: