Sealing and Painting a Concrete Porch Floor

Discussion in 'Concrete and Masonry' started by mtatum4496, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

I recently helped a friend remove the paint from his front porch floor, which is a raised concrete slab. He is deciding whether he wants to paint it another color, or just seal the concrete and leave it the natural gray.

What do you think? Is it better to seal the concrete or to paint it and then seal it?

2. Oct 26, 2006
    handystan

handystan New Member

some of the new epoxy paints are pretty good and durable. I prefer to stain the concrete. New stains penetrate the concrete and give it a strong and durable finish. Stain is also known as acid stain.

3. Oct 30, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Hi,
    personally I think painting the concrete is a pain! Not the actually painting of it I guess but the frequency that it has to be done. I really like the idea of leaving the concrete natural, or acid stained as mentioned above. And just put some nice carpet or throw rugs around it.

4. Oct 30, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

I like the idea of the acid stain. Question - if we do the acid stain on my friend's porch, will that make the surface smoother than it is? My concern is that if there is rain on the porch, it might make it slicker, thus making it easier for somebody to slip and fall.

5. Sep 24, 2007
    kav

kav New Member

Leaving the concrete in the natural I think would look very good, however it depends on the colour of the building, it may not fit in.