Scratch marks on wooden floors

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by milly, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Jan 19, 2007
    milly

milly New Member

Children's cycles, sharp toys, dropping cutlery - all leave scratch marks on wooden floors. How can I repair these? One or two are quite deep and a few are just scratches.

2. Jan 20, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

For light scratches Milly I sand these out around every 2-3 years when I do my regular maintainence work on the floors. They are re wax ed as well to bring the wood back to a good condition. For larger scratches the only long term option is to try a wood filler or perhaps disguise the area with a mat or stand.

3. Apr 10, 2007
    jeepmuddin2005

jeepmuddin2005 New Member

Try a wood filler. I know that Minwax, and I'm sure several other stain companies, offer wood fillers in several colors that you may find will match your floor stain. Your other options are a stainable wood filler, but that will be much more work.

4. Mar 3, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I was complaining the other night about scratches in our hardwood floors. We have a few rooms with newer flooring and older ones with older scratches and other wear. It's odd, though. The newer floors show the scratches more than do the older ones.

5. Mar 28, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

Has anyone tried the wood filler? How do you know it will match the color of the hard wood that you have? We have a couple of scratches in our living room floor (hard wood). Right now I just have a small rug covering them up.

6. Apr 4, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I don't know how scratches can happen so fast. The kids do some of it, but in our house, the adults do, too. I am so particular about my hardwood floors, but all it takes is one person to come along to scrape a chair across it. The cleaning crew moved a piano and made a large gash across the front dining room. I could have strangled them.

7. Apr 4, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

I agree some wood filler or a rug is probably your only option for big scratches unless you want to sand your entire floor and re-stain it. We had to do this once and I would never want to do it again.

8. Jan 27, 2015
    TMulhern

TMulhern New Member

Scratches in the polyurethane coating on hardware floors are easy to fix. Rub fine steel wool gently over the scratch, which should disappear. Clean away any dirt or dust. Buy the same polyurethane -- water or oil based -- you used originally, then brush on a coat. Let dry for at least 24 hours.
    OR
    You can also make use of sand paper to remove the scratch part of your wooden flooring or furniture and then replace it by using varnish on it.

9. Jan 27, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

10. Mar 15, 2018
    Daliajoy

Daliajoy New Member

I have natural wood flooring and with time it's got quite a few scratches. Someone came and scraped it and then he polished it with wood wax. It looks brand new and shiny and it didn't cost that much.

Calvin Jones likes this.
  11. May 18, 2019
    Calvin Jones

Calvin Jones New Member

Well, I use coconut oil which dehydrates your wood, and also restores your wood's natural color and soft glow.

12. Jun 3, 2019
    rayrayjeffjeff

rayrayjeffjeff New Member

yeah I'm also using coconut oil. It restores the wood magically

13. Apr 24, 2020
    Kinny

Kinny New Member

Wooden floors can be polished, we constantly do it. The main thing is that the floor thickness is large.