Replacing a window

Discussion in 'General Exterior Repair Discussion' started by SuzyD, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Apr 24, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

We have a window that needs to be replaced and have been thinking about trying to do it ourselves. Have any of you done this here? We will get some estimates to check out the cost of getting someone else to do it but are trying to save some money.

2. Apr 24, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

Some windows are fairly easy to do. Others are not so much so. I think I'd try to save money other places like painting, sanding and refinishing. Installing the window so you get it just right is something I'd leave to the experts.

3. Apr 24, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

We changed out all of our windows. It was not a bad project at all. One window we actually had to reframe in because we chose a smaller window. I think you can change out that window yourself. Good luck!

4. Apr 24, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

It sounds like a coin toss to me. It sounds like one of those jobs that could be easier than you thought, or turn into a complete nightmare. Perhaps you could start it, and if it becomes too difficult, then call in a professional.

5. Apr 25, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

I think you could probably switch the windows out yourselves if you are fairly confident with measuring and cutting. It really isn't that difficult of a job. Just like Robbie said though, if it gets to be too much then you could always call in a pro.

6. Sep 15, 2016
    Calvin

Calvin New Member

Yeap

7. Apr 6, 2017
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I often wonder what was done after these discussions are finished. Were the windows repaced by the homeowner or by professionals?

There are replacement windows that are eaiser to change out than what is sold for new construction. These windows requre mostly just the removal of the old sashes, attaching to the old window opening, and some trim material to cover and caulk. I haven't found them to be nearly as attractive as new windows, but the end result is satisfactory for rental rehabbing.

8. Nov 23, 2019
    Jared Welch

Jared Welch New Member

Preventive maintenance service is the only primary way by which one can increase the lifespan of the windows. Windows are the most vulnerable part of our home and therefore it needs proper attention and care. One can contact the commercial window cleaning Folsom CA team if you are looking to provide professional cleaning service to your windows.