Repairing, painting, and finishing the kitchen?

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by Smart Red, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Jan 10, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

I bought some paint today and tomorrow, DS has promised to come out and paint the kitchen. There are a few cracks from the house settling over the years and some trim nails that never got set.

The kitchen counter will need new caulking even if I decide to put tile on the backsplash wall area between the upper cupboards and the counter.

My paint choice is a color a bit lighter than the small bathroom with the bathroom color on the bulkheads and one wall. I have never tried two colors in one room. I hope it turns out well.

Hopefully I will be able to take a few photos before the painting begins. Right now the kitchen counters are a mess. Yesterday and today I cleaned out every drawer and all the lower cabinets to rearrange my "Stuff" and still need to find a place for some things.

One final thing that needs to be done is to make new doors for the lower cabinets. We glued the panels to the rest of the doors and they all cracked. While the doors look great during the summer, having the heat on causes the cracks to show every winter. Unless. . . unless the new heating system which will include both a HEPA air cleaner and a whole house humidifier will keep the doors from drying out. I guess I will wait and see.

Good news? The driller is "planning to be there on Monday to start". I'm not too sure about that, but we are expecting warmer weather this next week so hopefully the geo system will get in soon.

2. Jan 12, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

On Sunday, DS painted the kitchen ceiling. I forgot to say anything and ended up with a flat ceiling paint rather than the semi-gloss I had before. It was a paint that went on slightly purple and dried white. Here is the kitchen before painting. kitchen1.JPG
    He also took down the 4 ft. florescent light fixture.
    I am happy that I decided to up-date the light fixture. When it was removed there were signs of overheating on the ceiling and one of the wires was burned slightly. It could have been just fine, but it could also have been a house fire waiting to happen. kitchen2.JPG

Here is the finished ceiling painted -- and now dried white -- with the flat 'purple' paint.
    kitchen3.JPG

3. Jan 12, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

On Monday, DS painted the darker of my color choices -- Brown Owl -- on the back wall and all the bulkheads. Brown Owl is the same color that is in my small bathroom by the kitchen/back door. kitchen 1.JPG

Kitchen 2.JPG

As you can see, my color scheme has been pretty boring. Except for this brick wall and the one in the living room, most of the house is some shade of white. This is a big change for me. I can hardly wait to see how the two colors work together. . . if they work together.
    kitchen 3.JPG

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  4. Jan 14, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Here is the finished back wall. It doesn't show much darker than the rest of the walls, but there is a difference.
    kitchen back wall.JPG
    Most everything is put away in its new place in the newly cleaned and restructured cupboard spaces. The kitchen light fixture -- DS stuck up a porcelain with light just until I find the perfect new fixture.
    kitchen bulkhead and under cupboards.JPG
    All that really matters is that I like the job now that it is done. And I certainly do!

I wish I had measured the refrigerator before getting the new one since it doesn't fit into the space we had planned, but nothing much I can do about that now. There is supposed to be a wooden "pantry" on the wall next to the fridge. I am not sure there is enough room for one anymore.

Now, do I move on to the next room? Or do I wait for new cupboard doors for the bottom cabinets?

5. Jan 14, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Please excuse the "finished back wall" photo. I should have closed the mini-bathroom door. Since I have a "new" bathroom, I decided it needed a new toilet seat and paper roll holder -- still to be installed.

6. Jan 16, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

That question has been answered. DS says he will wait for warmer weather to work out in the shop making new doors so I guess I move on to another room.

7. Jan 20, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Here are some photos of the lower cabinet doors. Some are warped because of being glued and other have long cracks cabinet door1.JPG
    Here we have warping and cracking.

And these below are all cracked somewhere on the panels. Come summer and these cracks are almost invisible.
    cabinet door3.JPG

These photos were taken before I got the cabinets washed down. The drips and scratches have been cleaned and touched up with stain.

Attached Files:

8. Jan 30, 2015
    TMulhern

TMulhern New Member

This is really an amazing transformation @Smart Red.:thumbsup

9. Jan 30, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Thank you, kindly, @TMulhern. I'm blushing here.

10. Aug 20, 2015
    ArtisanKitchensWV

ArtisanKitchensWV New Member

Looking great!

11. Aug 20, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Thank you. I am happy with the redo. I guess the new kitchen base doors will wait until fall/winter to be made. DH and DS insist summer work needs to be done now and they are not summer work.

12. Apr 1, 2017
    Stanley Atkins

Stanley Atkins New Member

It looks great!!

13. Apr 6, 2017
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Son and his family have moved in with me now that I was alone. I have given the "right of changes" anywhere in the house to daughter-in-law and son. I am not into things and the house is just things to me. Anything important to me will be moved into my bedroom. It is family that I find important and so far having my two youngest grandchildren, Maverick (15) and Gypsy (14) living out here with their parents and with me has been working out well for me.

14. Mar 14, 2018
    Daliajoy

Daliajoy New Member

That is so sweet, true, things are just things, if the family is happy, nothing else matters. Good for you

15. Jun 19, 2019
    GinaginaGina

GinaginaGina New Member

wow it looks amazing!

16. Jan 6, 2020
    Marie Reis

Marie Reis New Member

It looks great and attractive.

17. Apr 24, 2020
    Kinny

Kinny New Member

You did everything very wonderful!