remodelling job done poorly

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by bergenski, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Mar 27, 2012
    bergenski

bergenski New Member

I mistakenly hired a company that is doing a horrible job remodelling my bathroom. It has been nearly 5 weeks now that they have been working on a small bathroom. The worker is always leaving to get stuff, always leaves for the day around 3 pm, and is generally being very slow. I learned he is getting paid hourly. He still is not done. I have given them 40% of the money so far...what should I do?

2. Mar 27, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Did you sign any sort of contract with them? If not, you could always fire them and get someone else to complete the job. If you did sign a contract, read it and see if there is any recourse for you.

3. Mar 27, 2012
    bergenski

bergenski New Member

I didn't sign a contract with them but he is pretty much done...yet they told me verbally it would take 2 weeks and it has taken more than twice that...I am thinking about not paying the full amount.

4. Mar 27, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

I would tell him they have had ample time to finish the job and that they must finish by the date you give them or you will not pay them the balance. They can either finish and get their money or keep dallying around. I am continually being called in to give advice on the same type of problem. They'll suck you for as much as you let them.

5. Mar 29, 2012
    bergenski

bergenski New Member

The workers are working hourly, so that is why they are taking so long. The boss didn't come once during the five weeks to see how they were doing. Additionally, I told the boss I didn't want done an exterior (small) refinishing job and he forgot to tell the workers and they started the job. When I told them I hadn't wanted them to do it, they stopped right in the middle so now I have a partially done job on the front of my house. How much can I not pay them for these inconveniences?

6. Mar 29, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I would call the boss of the workers and talk to him. Tell him that you were told the job would be done at a certain date and his workers were extremely off. Tell the boss you have been inconvenienced and do not think it is fair to pay the full amount. Usually they will work with you. You always have to be careful with hourly workers. They think they can pull a fast one on you.