Protecting shrubs from the elements

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by cerumen, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Nov 16, 2006
    cerumen

cerumen New Member

Winter is starting to come upon us in my neck of the woods. This year we planted several new small shrubs around our house. My intentions are to wrap them in burlap to possibly protect them from our harsh winters. Is there anything else I should do?

2. Mar 24, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

How did this work for you? I've never tried to wrap anything in burlap but it seems like it would work. I hope it did. I can't think of anything other then a sheet (bed sheet) over the top of them.

3. Mar 27, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Can you wrap them in plastic bags also? This is what we usually do when temperatures are freezing. We also wet them down before covering. This is what we have always heard so we do it. Although, I don't know how correct it is.

4. Sep 12, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Burlap will work better than plastic because burlap will let the plant breath while plastic may encourage mold or moisture problems over a long winter period. Even better would be fencing around the shrub filled with leaves (a good insulation) and then covered with the (light colored) burlap. That would allow you to grow shrubs that would survive 1 to 2 zones warmer. For me, that means I can grow zone 6 shrubs in my 4b -5a growing zone.

5. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

If your plants aren't too high, consider making "A" frames that you can put over the plants to keep snow and ice off of. Looks like the old sandwich boards vendors used to carry around