Planning a barn conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sumi, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 21, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

I agree, the trick is to find a happy medium. Somewhere between what we have and what you have.

Personally I don't see why chickens shouldn't be allowed where other domestic pets are. I mean, dogs are noisy too! Cats go make trouble with the neighbours (our neighbour's cat does here). Slaughtering I though. We processed chickens in our backyard, but we waited for the farm before we progressed to bigger critters.

So far, we're looking at a good price for glass for the windows. There are more than 20 broken panes in total. Luckily no bigger than 1 foot x less than foot (rough guess), but it's going to add up, especially once we through in a few packets of putty. Once the windows are fixed we're going to look at sealing up the other gaps. Then comes the big jobs... We're taking it slow and as we can spare the $$, which we couldn't up until now. We are hoping to be in before December, though that may be a little optimistic.

2. Sep 22, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

One or two of these is going to be used as a door. We are putting them on the kitchen side. DH measured the doors and the space we have available in the frame of the barn and it fits perfectly!

doors.jpg

3. Sep 23, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Ohhhh, pretty!
    Would mounting a couple of them as wall pannels be a consideration? Sort of like a picture window. How much do your temps swing from season to season? Our winter nights often drop below zero and the summer days average in the 90's - so a wall of windows would not be an option. But if your temps are more moderate, it would be real pretty and let in a TON of light.

4. Sep 23, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

That's what we're planning/thinking of doing. We want to put them on the kitchen side as a part wall, part sliding door. The weather here is lovely! We just had winter and I couldn't believe how mild it was. Beautiful weather and barely any frost overnight. Summer is a bit warmer, but not hot, just very humid. Though it's quite humid already and it doesn't bother me, so hopefully it won't get too much worse! We're thinking between the big door on the kitchen side and the big windows on the opposite side of the building we will catch enough breeze to keep the place cool. If not there is always fans...