Planning a barn conversion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sumi, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sep 19, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

We have a bit of a mess on the farm that we refer to as "the barn". No-one knows what it's original purpose was. It's in complete state, but looks structurally safe and has, in our minds, lots of potential for a small 1 or 2 bed dwelling. Here's what we've got:

barn 1.jpg

The building measures (very approximately) 24ft x 18ft, which doesn't give us a heck of a lot of space to work with, so we're thinking open plan kitchen/living area.

barn 2.jpg

That back area, where the toilet is, will most likely be the bedroom(s). I would like to squeeze 2 bedrooms in there with the bathroom on the right, forming an L. Which means the little bathroom windows in the left would end up in the lounge/kitchen and the huge window in the bathroom. Existing plumbing arrangements... :rolleyes:

barn 3.jpg

We have some very nice, huge wood framed glass doors which we can replace that old door with (I know! It's gorgeous, but it's falling to pieces). We're still undecided on where exactly to put the kitchen, but we're leaning towards the lefthand side where the big square window is. The bathroom will be squeezed in-between the kitchen and the bedroom, more or less where the coiled red pipe is.

Our budget is smallish for this job, so we're going to do much of the work ourselves and keep it simple for now. The property belongs to a friend of ours and we're planning on staying here about 2 years, after which we suggested the owner tarts it up and rents it out as holiday accommodation. (It's a coastal farm and we're about 1/4 mile from the most beautiful beach here.)

We're making this up as we go along, but exited about this project. I will post pics and updates as things happen. Feel free to comment/make suggestions as I've never done anything like this before and I have no idea what we're doing :D (Good thing the owner of the property owns a home remodel/renovation business).

2. Sep 19, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Wow! That's going to be SOME project. It made me immediately think of some folks I know who turned an old plantation home into a B&B. They worked out how to squeeze a full bath into each guest room without making either the bath or the bedroom feel cramped. They also took a tiny little out building and turned it into a bedroom with a full bath and a mini kitchen - which is what hooked up your project in my brain.
    http://brunswickmineralsprings.com/index.html if you would like to contact them.
    I hope you're going to take and post LOTS of pictures of your progress.

Sumi likes this.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Thank you for that! We definitely need tips and ideas as this is a tricky conversion, with space being so limited. I really really want a bath in the bathroom, so it's going to be a bit cramped, I'm afraid. The problem is the bathroom will sit next to and share a wall with the bedroom (if we do 2 beds) and we will have to plan around leaving enough space for the bedroom door... I will ask DH to draw up a floor plan of what we have in mind so I can show you all.

I will take lots of pics once we get going. I need to get in there and move all that junk out for starters...

4. Sep 19, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

Of course..... you COULD always build a MONDO-Wonderful chicken coop there..... [​IMG]
    or a barn for sheep [​IMG]
    or maybe cows.. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Just think of all the fresh eggs, milk and/or steak!

5. Sep 19, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

The chicken coop is going next door, where we have a good size half build structure already and there are 2 nice pig pens behind the barn ;) We don't have good grazing land for cows here, but there is a section I'm thinking would be perfect for goats, except for one small problem... It's not exactly fenced! And yes, I've heard that saying: if it can't hold water, it can't hold a goat.

6. Sep 19, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's a crazy project for sure! I wish you had a little more of a substantial structure to work with... that one looks like it will need a ton of additional framing, supports, etc.

I wish you the best of luck with it and look forward to pictures and info!!

7. Sep 19, 2013
    Pushkins

Pushkins New Member

If your looking at the improvements being inspected by an city or county building inspector, your going to be in difficulty. the structure itself as it stands right now is not safe, I know I know your saying...well it's still standing now !! Unfortunately building inspectors don't take that into consideration (nor should you) if it were to fall down a barn with tools in it is much less of a worry than people in it.
    There are so many areas at issue from structural, lack of studs, headers over windows, distance between the trusses <<<< that's a biggie and not an easy fix, then add in the floor.
    Have you thought how you plan to address the issues of plumbing and how and where your going to run the waste lines ?
    Renting out a property that doesn't meet codes (all codes including electrical, plumbing, fire and structural, even toss in insulation) is a liability nightmare, thinking about that, the owner of the property would be liable for you and your family should he/she allow you live (even rent free) in a none approved premises.

It's a very slippery slope, make sure you do your homework.

8. Sep 20, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

Is the structure basically a steel framed building with purlins along the walls? Because I don't see any studs as in a conventional building. AND the floor looks like crumbling osb siding. Is there a concrete slab underneath all that osb? What do you have for a waste system? And what about water? Well? How about heating?

9. Sep 20, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Don't worry, we are aware of the building laws, requirements, planning etc and what we can/cannot do. Since we live in Africa it's a delightfully grey area. I am going to leave it to the landowner to sort out though, while DH and I sort out the what-do-we-need-to-do-to-make-this-place-habitable bits. The building does need a lot of cleaning up as it looks much worse than it is at the moment, but I am realistic. We're going to to have to do quite a lot of work here.

It is a welded steel and wood (mostly steel) structure and is quite solid. It was the first thing we looked at when we started thinking about converting it. There is now way I'm moving into a building that is not safe! The "walls" are a bit flimsy though and we're going to have to put a lot of work and money into them. We are going to fit panelling along the walls on the inside and replace some of the boards and sheets on the outside, where needed.

Here are some details of the frame:

barn 1111.jpg

barn 222.jpg

barn 333.jpg

barn 444.jpg

The floor is concrete and also in a good condition, no damp or cracks.

Plumbing wise we have a plan in place, but the septic tank arrangements, which is already in place, is on one side of the building, so we are going to have to put the bathroom and kitchen on the side where it will be the easiest and cheapest to run the outlet pipes. The landowner is friends with an electrician who sorted the electricity out in the other outbuildings and he already gave us quite a reasonable quote for putting electricity into this building.

Our climate is very mild, so insulation and heating will not be needed. We might put some light insulation in when we put a ceiling in, but we're still undecided on that.

10. Sep 20, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

Wow, pretty interesting Sumi!

I know it will be tricky for those of us that are really used to local building codes, ordinances, requirements, etc. to fully understand that some countries are a bit more... um... "relaxed" on that kind of thing than we have here in the majority of the US.

11. Sep 20, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

We're much more relaxed about stuff like that here. Which is not always a good thing! With the lack of available houses for our booming population most people make do and use whatever resources they have available to build "houses", like this guy:

gps-road-signs-house-south-africa.jpg

That little structure is locally known as a "shack" and yep, those are (were) road signs!

12. Sep 20, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

Well, then, I was unaware that the dwelling was in Africa. That changes the entire scope of things. We can't apply the US codes to this building. I'd have to go searching for African building requirements. For instance, what is the common voltage for dwellings? Is it 220 volts like in the UK? Looking at some of your pictures, what sort of wind will that flimsy roof bear? From what I can see there are four roof trusses with a purlin horizontal to the trusses and tin laid on top of that. I think you are in the wrong forum.

13. Sep 20, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

I apologise, I should've mentioned that I am not in the US. Since most of the members here know me from the other sites I didn't think to mention it.

Our voltage is similar to the UK, yes. As for building requirements, as I mentioned before it is a grey area and differs from town to town, especially the enforcement of said requirements! We do plan to stick to whatever requirements is set in our area though.

The roofs sheets are about 0.5 inch thick and made from fibre cement, I don't know if you are familiar with it? And it is quite secure, we checked it out already :) We do not have hurricane winds in our part of the world, but being so close to the sea we do have a fair amount of wind and it hasn't caused any problems yet.

Well, I'm sorry you feel that way. I have put this thread in the "Off topic" section as my intention was simply to share our project with whoever is interested in following our story, comment, offer advice and have the occasional laugh or cry with us. I am aware that the way we do things here are different from the way you do things there. If you are interested in seeing how we do things here though, stick around. There's more to come... :)

14. Sep 20, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

I'm sticking around. This promises to be quite enlightening - as well as entertaining and informative.
    What part of Africa are you in? Over here, we are quite used to seeing pictures of 'the plains and grasslands' but the picture you first posted looks much like any farmland/pasture around here.
    (tons more questions to come, I'm sure)

15. Sep 20, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Thanks, Canesisters. It looks like it's going to be entertaining for sure! LOL We're in South Africa. And we have hot, semi-dessert regions, grassy veld (you can see a bit of that in the shack pic above), parts that are wet and green almost like rainforest and about everything in-between. If you have questions, shoot them over :) I don't mind!

16. Sep 21, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I looked into stuff relating to south africa pertaining to codes. It's really up to the jurisdiction where you live about what's permitted and what's not. I checked out the electrical and it is 220 but at 50 cycle? how primitive. why 50 cycle?
    the color coding for wires is hot is brown, earth ground is yellow with a green stripe and neutral is blue.

17. Sep 21, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

We have problems with electricity supply and demand, with the demand growing and the supply not. We are actually encouraged to use as little electricity as possible, so any upgrades in the electricity department is unlikely for the foreseeable future. We are satisfied with what we do have though, it's better than nothing! :)

18. Sep 21, 2013
    Judy

Judy New Member

How interesting!

"Relaxed" building codes could be quite an advantage over the complex stuff we sometimes deal with in the US. Additional challenges, yes, but advantages as well.

19. Sep 21, 2013
    Sumi

Sumi Member Staff Member

Hi Judy! Nice to see you over here :)
    You know, I was thinking about this today. With the relaxed laws (and lack of enforcement) in this country, some things can be a challenge, let's face it, but there are also so many benefits. Take livestock, for or example. We kept chickens on a few of our properties, we raised and slaughtered animals for our own consumption on our farm and it was just... allowed. I was shocked when I joined BackYardChickens.com and read about the laws and ordinances regarding chickens and that they are not allowed in so many towns! We take it for granted that we can keep them here. We have so much more freedom here, which is not always a good thing! LOL But it does make certain things so much easier.

20. Sep 21, 2013
    Judy

Judy New Member

There is such a thing as too many laws, I think.

I don't think I've ever lived where they weren't allowed, I'm thankful to say, and I'd certainly like to see a lot of those laws against chickens repealed. (Yes, I have a few chickens, folks.) I see they are even allowed in Chicago, the only "big city" I've ever lived in, although slaughter isn't.

I see you started this thread about a month ago. Any progress yet?