Passive Cooling

Discussion in 'Green Building and Topics' started by Yoohoo, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Apr 3, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Does your house or yard have any passive cooling features, such as longer overhangs, deep porches, light colored roofs or shady trees?

We have a light colored roof and our house is longest in the east/west direction, so winter sun comes in but summer sun stays out.

2. Apr 3, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

We have lots of shade trees, but they are gradually coming down as they age. Storms have taken out a few. I've taken out some because I'm afraid they'll fall on the house. We still have a lot of shade.

3. Apr 17, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

You know I never really looked but now I will. We don't have a light colored roof - it's green. We do have a lot of shade trees - but they are not near the house. I am going to say no.

4. Apr 18, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

We have some nice shade trees around the house and love to leave the windows open as much as possible. We really hate to use the AC unless we just can't take the heat any longer. We also have a light colored roof.

5. Apr 19, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

We moved into our house about a year ago, so we don't have any established trees quite yet. Although, we do have a small oak tree in the front and back yards. We have a constant breeze where we live, so rarely do we turn on AC unless it's unusually hot. Our roof is a dark brown, but the house is extremely energy sufficient.