Painting Walls Techniques

Discussion in 'Painting and Interior Design' started by PlushPickens, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Apr 16, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

Do you use a technique when painting your walls? For example, I'm always seeing on TV that you should start off with a big W. My nephew who is a contractor says to start with panels, from top to bottom, then, start the 2nd panel overlapping half of the fist column, and so on. Then come back and fill in everything evenly. He said it saves paint and time and covers better. I haven't used his method, but will be testing it in the future.

2. Apr 16, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

My uncle is a commercial union painter who has been doing it for over 40 years. He does most of my painting (at a discount of course). I think he does the "W' technique but I never paid that much attention to be honest. We had to paint our rental unit ourselves last summer and we just went up and down.

3. Apr 17, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

Heck no! I just paint the walls. I don't even know what the "W" technique is. We just start in one corner and paint. I did not know there was specific painting techniques.

4. Oct 31, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Sort of "W". Do the trim at the ceiling then paint from top in rows that start in an angle shape much like w, do the same in the center, and trim the base before painting the lower part. Sometimes it gets done in two passes -- top to middle and middle to bottom. Usually a second painter is doing the trim work.

5. Apr 24, 2020
    Kinny

Kinny New Member

It is imperative to observe the technology when painting. this greatly facilitates the work and guarantees the best result.