Painting Alumininum Siding

Discussion in 'Roofing and Siding' started by mtatum4496, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

Is this a good idea? I always thought the idea of putting on the aluminum siding that was so popular back in the 1970's was to avoid painting altogether.

Is there a special type of paint that needs to be used when painting the siding? Or will standard exterior do the job?

2. Oct 28, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

I wish I could be of help to you. I never knew that you could even paint over alumininum siding. Hopefully someone will answer because I would also be interested to see if you can do this. It would sure be cheaper I would think than getting new siding.

3. Oct 28, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

I have never known anyone to paint their aluminum siding either. However, you would probably have to first clean it with some special formula and then prime it with paint appropriate for metal. It seems like it would be a big hassle to me.

4. Oct 30, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

I got this from the builders advice, He recommends not to use the latex base primer, instead prime the weathered aluminum siding with a thinned down oil based metal priming paint. Leading manufacturers recommend using one pint of paint thinner to one gallon of high quality oil based primer. This primer creates a barrier between the oxidized aluminum and the finish paint. However, before you even think of mixing up and applying this primer, you need to prepare the surface for paint. If you read the labels on most paints, they will instruct you to apply the product to a clean, dry surface. How do you get yourself clean? Soap, I thought so!

He is very helpful, dont you think? I guess he had to throw in the bit about the soap just for good measure :)

5. Oct 30, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

Thanks, guys! I was asked this question, as my parents had aluminum siding installed on a home we owned back in 1971 and they thought that would make me an expert! LOL I had never heard of anyone painting over aluminum siding before, so it is helpful to know there is a way to do it, if you are determined to do so.

6. Nov 15, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

That was cute. I also didn't know you could paint over aluminum siding just as many others. But when you think about it there is not much you cannot do in this type of work. Man will find something to do with anything and everything.
    Those that are hard core "do-it-yourselfers" will definitely find a way to do it. Those guys love what they do and will continue to find new ways and new methods.

7. Dec 4, 2006
    artapia

artapia New Member

Just replace with vinyl siding. No maintenance, and fairly inexpensive.

8. Apr 3, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I agree with artapia. Vinyl siding is the bomb. We have some on the back of our house and on some of our outbuildings. All we have to do is hose it down. I do use a vinyl siding cleaner from Lowe's that takes off any mildew in no time flat. It lasts for years and years.