Older Tools

Discussion in 'Tool Discussion' started by PlushPickens, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Mar 15, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

My brother is always complaining about how crappy they make tools these days. He collects old tools because he says they are higher quality. Do you think this is true and should I be looking for older tools?

2. Sep 10, 2013
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC New Member

Depends how well you know tools - how familiar you are with using them, hefting them, recognizing quality, etc.

I tend to agree with your brother, at least in many cases. I've bought a lot of tools from second-hand equipment dealers, yard sales, flea markets, and pawn shops. Especially when I was first doing this, in my 20s, I made some mistakes. As I gained more experience, I made far fewer.

With some power tools, newer models have offered more features or lighter weight - but sometimes with inferior internal parts or quality control at the factory. Still, some up-to-date power tools, made for use by professionals not "weekend warriors", are very durable (but they cost more). But a worn-out older tool can be a disappointment, too. You have to know how to look at and even listen to older tools.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
    Nifty likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2013
    Joel_BC

Joel_BC New Member

I should have added that while some hand-held power tools have become more powerful and offer more features while also being lighter in weight than older ones, light weight isn't always desirable in a power tool. With hand-held tools, it is. With bench or floor-sited tools, it is often less desirable.

I have a 50-year old Rockwell floor-model drill press. I purchased it as a used machine, of course, and it's heavy and has incredibly durable bearings and motor by comparison with current models. I feel the heaviness of the unit gives it a feeling of solidity and dampens vibration thoroughly. Yes this tool is basic, but very well made - and there's no comparison with current models aimed at the same market sector.

It reminds me of some of the 70-year-old tractors that people are still using, in my locale (after many years of service and with the replacement of fairly minor parts).

4. Sep 11, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

A lot of the portable toolage by reputable companies is made or assembled in Taiwan or Mexico. Only because the wage base is cheaper.
    Sears used to have their "skil-sawz" all made of white metal but everything now a days is plastic. Metal forgives, plastic does not! If you spin a bearing in a portable tool, throw it out and get a new one. the plastic that held the bearing will be melted out.
    DeWalt is good for that!

5. Sep 16, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

PlushPickens, I tend to agree with your brother. The older tools - in good shape - will do a good job. Most of the non-powered hand tools we use are well over 50 years old. The main radial-arm saw we have, a 9" DeWalt, was purchased used by father-in-law and used to build many houses. Spouse (76) remembers his dad using it in the basement when he was a child. It is still used every day in furniture building with no more serious problem than a lost key. The new 12" DeWalt I bought for our son didn't last a year without needing fixing and is "stored" in the shop awaiting a new motor.

The biggest drawback to older drills, sanders, saws, etc. are the electric cords. They work well still, but need an outlet. I rather like the battery power even if they don't last very long.

6. Sep 16, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

One of my interests to keep from going crazy is I repair all kinds of tools, powered by cord or batteries. I just finished three DeWalt compound slide miter saws. Their designated models were the DW718 and DW708.. One 718 was making a terrible noise when it shut down. Two of the dribearings for the arbor were spinning in the white metal gear housing. The 708 needed a whole new motor - armature & fan and the field winding. I got 'em both shipped and installed with a week.