No Ceiling Outlet

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by Robbie, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Mar 26, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I have no outlet in my bedroom ceiling for a fan or light. All I have are wall outlets. I would like to install a ceiling fan. But would I have to hire an electrician to wire one up? Or is this an easy enough DIY project?

2. Apr 2, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

We have a room where we have no ceiling light and no way to put one up. We've always just used lots of lamps in there. I suppose one of these days I might just take it on to put a light up there.

3. Apr 2, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

You would not have an outlet in your ceiling anyway. The ceiling fan would be wired in to one of the existing electrical lines not plugged into an outlet. It is like any other ceiling light, there is no plug.

4. Sep 11, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

If you have access to a crawl space above the room, installing a ceiling light is a piece of cake. If you have a room above an existing room and you'd like a light in there, it's a little more involved but it can be done. Hit me back if you are still interested.

5. Sep 11, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

HayZee, you're timing here is EXCELLENT! I'm in the process of creating a new office and want to add canned lighting, but I worry I may not have enough crawl space in the attic to do the wiring.

Here's a picture of the space I'm working in. Unfortunately I need to put cans in the space that is past the end of the tape on the left, which you can see gets pretty tight.

upload_2013-9-11_9-33-32.jpeg

6. Sep 12, 2013
    Kelly

Kelly New Member

That looks pretty roomy compared to some attics I've seen. Wear long sleeves, or that fiberglass will have you itching forever.

7. Sep 27, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

If that black stuff in the background
    is old romex wire, it should be installed in drilled holes in the joists, not laid on top of them.​