Mold in Bathroom Tile

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by Yoohoo, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

How do you clean mold from caulk and grout lines in a tub/shower stall? I've tried using a toothbrush with bleach and soft scrub, but it didn't help. The corners of the shower stall look particularly bad between the mold and the reddish residue (iron?).

2. Apr 12, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

Have you tried the product CLR? It might help, but I have never used it, so I am not sure. Have you tried just thoroughly soaking the tub in bleach for a while? Make sure your bathroom is well ventilated, though. Baking soda and vinegar might help, but I am not sure if I have ever used that combo on mold.

3. Apr 12, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Bleach has always worked for me. Are you using really hot water and bleach? That is what you would want to use. You can let it soak for a bit too and then scrub off.

4. Apr 13, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Full strength bleach has always worked for me, too. Just spray it on and let it sit without rinsing at all. I always use Clorox. When I buy cheaper brands they don't seem to work, as well.

5. Apr 13, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I've always use Tilex to clean any mildew or stains from the tub or shower. It's always worked good for me. I have used the CLR if I have hard water stains.

6. Apr 14, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

If the molt is that bad, then you might want to consider a new caulk job. I know that you should do that every once in awhile anyway since caulk does have a tendency to wear down after a bit. I use my Shark hard surface steamer to clean my caulk lines and it works great.

7. Apr 14, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

We were in Bed, Bath and Beyond yesterday and the girl at the register sold us this little rectangular cake of something she swore by as the next greatest thing. She says it takes soap scum, mold, mildew and rust stains off porcelain, tile and other surfaces in the bathroom, including the areas around the tub. I bought one but haven't tried it yet. It reminds me of a pumice stone with a sponge attached.

8. Aug 20, 2012
    MarryJone

MarryJone New Member

Mold often grows on tiles or in the grout around them. You should be able to easly remove mold from tiles by scrubbing or wiping with a cloth. Mold growing in grout can be more difficult though. Bleach can often be useful for killing mold in grout and fading away mold stains. The grout may require a good scrubbing with a toothbrush or scrubbing brush.