Micro Efficient Homes

Discussion in 'Green Building and Topics' started by handystan, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Dec 26, 2006
    handystan

handystan New Member

I saw on TV, builders making these micro efficient homes. The concept is to use technology used in RV and apply it to condos or town homes. Basically they use very little square footage, but use the space more efficiently. The homes are also designed to be super efficient. One home on TV only used $80 dollars all winter towards utilities (gas, electric). The buyer demographic for these homes are single people and single elderly people that don't need more then 800 sf and are looking for well designed homes and don't want to pay huge utility bills. I was just wondering what everybody thought of these homes.

2. Jan 2, 2007
    roro

roro New Member

I have heard of and lived in an efficency apartment. There is enough room for just a single person or a couple without children. However you will eventually grow tired of it and want more space. We were able to live there for at least a year or so and than moved. But for the elderly or singles these apartments maybe perfect for them. You don't have really large utility bills if I remember correctly. So, this is something that is already in effect, not very new or counting edge.

3. Jan 20, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Energy efficiency is high on the agenda for most building firms these days and many of the DIY programmes tend to focus on this aspect a great deal. Especially on insulation and energy saving devices to make the home as efficient as possible.

4. Mar 20, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

Are you talking about the micro homes, that basically look like those wooden storage buildings? I saw an article on those in a magazine. It was pretty interesting, but I am not sure if I could live in a micro home. If I had acreage, though, I probably could. There us always something to do outside, to give you a breather from small living quarters.

5. Mar 28, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I personally love this idea. I have lived in small places and large, and I prefer smaller places. They are cozy and quaint, and if they can save me money, I'm all for it. I think I'll do some research.

6. Mar 29, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I am way too used to having my own spaces for such a small space to work for myself. I have lots of projects and hobbies, all of which require their own spaces for me to keep my things. The older I get, the more things I find I'm doing. It's good that people have different options.

7. Nov 10, 2016
    RalphXhoff

RalphXhoff New Member

Good option but I feel that we can decimate our energy consumption if we are able to utilize the resources efficiently. Allow natural lighting to light your home in the daytime... Use of programmable thermostats and many other simple moves can certainly turn every home green.

8. Apr 6, 2017
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

[

QUOTE="Darla, post: 2814, member: 4505"]Are you talking about the micro homes, that basically look like those wooden storage buildings? I saw an article on those in a magazine. It was pretty interesting, but I am not sure if I could live in a micro home. If I had acreage, though, I probably could. There us always something to do outside, to give you a breather from small living quarters.[/QUOTE]
    Yup! But with the extra space you would find yourself building sheds to house all the necessities that won't fit in the micro home.
    Bigger house on 30 acres with three outbuildings and planning two more.