Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Interior Door

Discussion in 'General Interior Repair Discussion' started by ToeJoe, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Jan 25, 2015
    ToeJoe

ToeJoe New Member

I would like to know if this door would be a very good door to use in a finished basement Masonite Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door?

How good do they hold up?
    Are they a strong will built door?

I am looking at one from Home Depot this is the infro on it: Masonite Model # 73172 Internet # 100091456 Store SKU # 310889
    Textured 6-Panel Hollow Core Primed Composite Prehung Interior Door.
    At $64.00 is it a average door or a chap door?

The basement is dry.
    If you could give a few pointers it would help.

2. Jan 25, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

@ToeJoe, masonite can be stronger than luan -- which is usually painted as well. It depends on what type of Masonite is used. Hollow core usually means a thin layer of sheet wood on each side. There are 1 to 2 inch wood pieces glued around the edges with corrugated cardboard slats between them and a block of wood where a hole for a door knob would go.

$64.00 is not much for a prehung door, but within reason for a hollow core. It could work very well if used with normal care. I have hollow core doors in some of my apartments that have nearly 60 years of use and still look pretty good. I have some that took a shot from a foot or fist that don't look good. "Normal care" is the key here.

3. Jan 25, 2015
    ToeJoe

ToeJoe New Member

The doors that are 60 years old are they the same quality as they are today?

The quality that we have today is not the quality it was 60 years ago.

Thank-You for your input it means allot to me to hear from someone that has knowledge on this.

4. Jan 26, 2015
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

Believe me, they are not a quality door. I would never have purchased them, but they came with the apartment building we purchased and we've only replaced the ones that were ruined by tenants.

These, too, have corrugated cardboard in the center to keep the thin veneer where it belongs. It might have a bit thicker wood, but the difference would be slight.

5. Jan 26, 2015
    ToeJoe

ToeJoe New Member

I would say you get what you pay for. I have always said that.