linoleum

Discussion in 'Flooring' started by dumbledork, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Nov 5, 2006
    dumbledork

dumbledork New Member

I have some linoleum that I would like to put down in my bathroom. I have heard it is pretty easy, but I could use some advise.

:eek:

2. Nov 5, 2006
    craftsman

craftsman New Member

installing linoleum

Linoleum flooring is an inexpensive and useful way to cover your floor. If done right, linoleum will last forever. In fact, I had to tear up linoleum one time to put in tile, and it was the hardest thing to pull up. Linoleum is nice because it is easy to clean (no need for grout cleaner) and you don't have to worry too much about spills like you do with wood or carpet.

When you are installing linoleum you really need to take your time. Do not rush and have everything ready to go before you begin.

Linoleum tiles

Linoleum tiles have adhesive on the back, but this will only work on very clean, level surfaces. Make sure that there is no dirt and that the surface is level and dry. Before you begin lay down the tiles. Mark the tiles that need to be cut and cut them with scissors or a razor blade and continue doing this until you have all the tiles cut. This way you will know what it is going to look like and you won't be trying to make cuts while you are working. You first tile should be the one that is the farthest away. You need make sure that you can exit the room without having to step on the tiles that you just put down. (When I was doing this in a bathroom, I didn't plan everything out so I was stepping on tiles while I was going out. Some of the tiles shifted and once they shifted, they wouldn't go back). Peel off the backing and put the tile in place. Use a rolling pin to push down the tile. Continue until you are done with the room and then let it dry for a long time (at least overnight) before you walk on it.

Linoleum sheets

I think that if you are going to put down laminate you should put down the sheets of linoleum because then you won't have the seams that you do in between tiles, but this is the more difficult option. The first thing that you need to do is measure the space. You can make a pattern with paper. Then you need to cut the laminate and make sure that it fits in your space. Once everything is measured and fits in place you can start putting it down. Again, make sure that the surface is clean, dry and level. You will need a notch trowel which you can find at the hardware store by the tile supplies, and laminate mastic which you can buy pre-mixed. Spread out the mastic on the floor a little at a time then you go over it with the comb part of the trowel and it makes lines in the thin set. Lay down the sheet of linoleum over the thin set. This process is a lot like tile and will probably require two people. Roll over the thin set with a rolling pin, or press firmly as you go. Make sure the there are no air bubbles and if there are carefully work them to the edges with your hands.

3. Apr 4, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I prefer linoleum sheets, myself. I've used tile before, but like the sheet look much better. I like the uniformity of one whole piece with no seams. Just curious, why is it that the floor must be level with linoleum sheets? What will happen if not?