Leak under the Kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Plumbing' started by SuzyD, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Mar 10, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I think the PVC pipes are just getting old. We are wondering if it would be better to just replace all of them or maybe get some of that stuff you can put around the connections to help stop leaks? It just seems like a real chore to replace them all. Any suggestions or easy fixes? :confused:

2. Mar 10, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

It is really hard to say without a bit more detail. Do you know where the leak is coming from exactly? Does it only leak when you do certain things? You may only need to use a bit of plumber's tape on the joins but it's tough to tell without more information.

3. Mar 12, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

Garbage disposal leaking

I thought we had a leak in the pipes, but it turned out that the garbage disposal was leaking. At least we don't have to repair new pipes. Check under the sinks periodically to make sure nothing is leaking in the back. We do have square buckets holding our supplies, so we at least catch the leaking water.

4. Mar 12, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

It really depends on what the problem is. If something just needs to be tightened or you need to seal it better, then you wouldn't want to replace all the pipes. PVC lasts a long time.

5. Sep 13, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

First you need to find out where the leak is. It could be from the waste water through the trap or it could be from the inlet water pipes or faucet. I have found that anytime I undo the PVC joints it is best to replace the plastic seals with new ones before I tighten everything back up. That does the most to stop leaks.

6. Sep 13, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

you mentioned a leak at the disposal. with water running into the tub, look under the sink at the disposal unit with a flashlight. If water is dripping from the bottom of the motor housing where the motor shaft is, chances the motor to grinding chamber seal is shot, necessitating a new disposal. But if the water is coming out near the bolt on flange on the disposal unit, perhaps the seal isn't tight enough. Lastly if its leaking where the outlet connects to your plumbing system, could be a loose slip joint washer.