Kitchen Back Splash

Discussion in 'Kitchen and Bath' started by SuzyD, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Mar 5, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I am wanting to redo our back splash in our kitchen and am hoping some here can help me think of some neat ideas that we can do ourselves. We are on a tight budget so cost is a big factor. Has anyone done this themselves and liked how it turned out?

2. Mar 5, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

Backsplash

We found some little tiles about 2" square with a lovely ivy design in them. We added a regular back splash out of plain colored tile and put a strip of these little tiles above them. They are adorable and really add character to our kitchen.

3. Mar 6, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Look for discontinued tiles or see if any friends have scrap tiles. Then break them into pieces and use them all to make a mosaic. It'll be labor-intensive but cheap and will look really nice.

4. Mar 6, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Fryar - I love that idea! Back splash tiles are so expensive (the decorative ones). That is a great idea to buy plain ones and then add strips of color. I am looking for tiles too for our kitchen. I have been looking at the end caps (clearance).

5. Mar 6, 2012
    MsFixIt

MsFixIt New Member

We used glass mosaic squares on an adhesive backing. It's so much easier than other methods. It can be pricier but not always - they often have at least a few designs clearanced out to make room for new ones.

6. Mar 6, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

The mosaic idea sounds really awesome. Would it be possible to use broken plates in place of tiles? I know I have broken many plates that had really nice patterns, and it seems suiting to reuse the plates in the kitchen.

7. Mar 7, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I don't see why you couldn't use plates instead of tiles. I only suggested tiles since they are flat and plates usually have curved edges, but you could still use the flat part of the plates.

8. Mar 8, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

Wow, these are all great ideas. I like the idea of breaking up some used tiles or plates for that matter. I'll have to start looking around and see what I can fine. Keep the ideas coming! Thanks.

9. Mar 8, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I know someone who did a backsplash with shells. I thought it was going to look tacky, but it came out extremely nice. She used neutral and white colors. I would lay some out first to get an idea of how it may look before actually placing them. I like shells, but it may not be everyone's taste.