Installing a Pop Up Sprinkler System

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by mtatum4496, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Oct 26, 2006
    mtatum4496

mtatum4496 New Member

Does anyone have experience doing this? And what is your opinon of the systems that come with a master control that you activate manually, in lieu of the timer?

2. Oct 26, 2006
    artapia

artapia New Member

Definitely
    go with the timer. Its well worth the money.

3. Oct 28, 2006
    echos

echos New Member

Hey there , I have had mine for over 5yrs. with the automatic timers. Love it , never go back to the <old fashioned kind again>Echos

4. Oct 28, 2006
    lyricb

lyricb New Member

We have found our sprinkler system to be more trouble than it is worth. Every year there is something else to repair on it, so next year we're just going to bust out a hose and do it like the old days.

5. Nov 9, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

I hope you like digging. This is one of those areas where I always hire someone, preferably a someone who guarantees their work and who will maintain the thing for me. And -- if you're going to have one at all, I highly recommend the most automatic, fancy-pants one you can afford.

6. Nov 9, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

I remember helping my parents install their inground sprinkler system back when I was a teen. Boy.. that was SO MUCH WORK! Digging, digging and more digging. Then, putting the PVC pipes into the ground and putting them together. Good golly.

I also agree with putting in the best sprinkler system you can. If something goes wrong, it is a pain to fix. So, spend the extra to get a really high quality system to begin with.

And, definitely get the timer!!!

7. Nov 10, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

Aren't inground sprinkler systems different than in the past? I mean, they have flexible tubing instead of having to use pvc and you can rent a ditch-witch at a rental store to do the digging.

8. Apr 10, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

We had a sprinkler system installed a year ago. It has a digital timer, and it's a dream. Just set it for the times you want it to come on, and that's it. It beats manual, that's for sure. It has some kind of charcoal device in it where the sprinklers won't come on when it rains. We were watering by hand before, and that gets old real fast. We had to change the hose and sprinklers around all day long.

9. Apr 11, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Yes, inground sprinkler systems now use flexible tubing to make your life a little easier but digging all the trenches won't be fun. I agree with the others that a digital timer is the way to go!

10. Apr 11, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

How much does a sprinkler system like this cost? We have a side yard I'd love to add a system to. It's about 80' x 40 ' and has right many azaleas and evergreen shrubs.