Help me in purchase eco friendly furniture?

Discussion in 'Green Building and Topics' started by jennyr, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Jan 24, 2008
    jennyr

jennyr New Member

I love elegantly designed teak and rosewood furniture and personally have no problem till the time Mike visited my home. After a few hours, when he was about to leave, he appreciated my taste of furniture but said “Jenny – you know, the good looking furniture in your home might not be so good for the health of your family”.

I know Mike, he speaks less but always have a reason if he speaks.

Is really by using traditional furniture, I am taking health of my family for granted as Mike (my friend and scientist) believes? I want more opinion before I opt for eco friendly furniture?
    Jenny R, Social Activist
    Pennsylvania

2. Jan 24, 2008
    markhughes

markhughes New Member

Jenny, I think Mike has a point. Traditional furniture manufacturing processes create emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) from glues, stains, and finishes. VOCs are a major contributor to indoor air pollution and outdoor smog.

Many VOCs found around the house, such as paint strippers and wood preservatives, contribute to sick building syndrome because of their high vapor pressure. Plus, it can cause Leukemia and severe respiratory problems.

The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has found concentrations of VOCs in indoor air to be 2 to 5 times greater than in outdoor air.

I use environment friendly furniture (http://www.modernecohomes.com)for my home and clinic. And as a doctor advise you to do so.

Dr. Mark. E. Hughes Dermatologist, MA