Health Hazard

Discussion in 'Pools, Ponds, and Fountains' started by wondering, Oct 31, 2006.

1. Oct 31, 2006
    wondering

wondering New Member

Does everyone know that if you move, you're still responsible for the upkeep of your pond or pool or whatever until you sell because it can become a health hazard? Something important to know.

2. Nov 9, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

This is confusing for me! So, if you sell your house to someone, you are still responsible? What about the person who buys your house and property? It seems they would inherit responsibility for upkeep on the water.

It doesn't make sense to me for the original owner be the liable one. Do you have a original source with this information? I'd like to read it.

3. Nov 10, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

I think you might mean that the original owner is liable until the new owners take over the property, not that they would still have to maintain it after the new owners move in. Personally, I wouldn't want someone to move out of a house with a pond and then not sell that house for months. Think of the number of mosquitos that could breed there! Wouldn't it' be easier to drain the pond if you're selling the house?

4. Nov 14, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

I wasn't aware of that. But I would think that it would be expected because of the health hazard and the reponsibility for the upkeep would not be the realtors. Also the property may not be one that is sold quickly and who than would be responsible, if the owner was not. That's is why I personally wouldn't want to have a pool or a pond.

Just the water bill alone would keep me from having one..

5. Dec 14, 2006
    Melos

Melos New Member

If you still own the home, it doesn't matter where you are, you are still responsible for ALL the upkeep of it. I'm not sure why someone would think you wouldn't be responsible for a home, yard, or pool that you still own?

6. Mar 13, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

It makes sense to me. Of course, you are responsible for upkeep on the pool and surroundings until the house is sold and new owners take occupancy. I doubt one is going to sell a house with a disgusting pool. The only time I can see this happening is if the house is a foreclosure.