Growing grass in the shade

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by handystan, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Feb 1, 2007
    handystan

handystan New Member

I have a sideyard that I want to use as a kids play yard. The only problem is it only receives some brief early morning sun, about three hours. Any suggestions to what type of grass if any will grow in mostly shade.

2. Feb 5, 2008
    jamison_tilne

jamison_tilne New Member

Grass is a rather resilient 'weed'. I don't imagine it takes much sunlight at all to keep it green and growing. That said, I'm not an expert on grass, so I wouldn't take my word to the bank.

3. Feb 14, 2010
    PatN

PatN New Member

There are specific grass species that will grow well in the shade. Just look for one that says, "SHADE"

4. Feb 20, 2010
    PatN

PatN New Member

also, don't forget fertilizer

5. Mar 7, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Our lawn service told us that grass gets plenty of light even in the shade. I don't know how true this actually is, and it may depend what area of the country you live in. We live in the south, so this may make a substantial difference.

6. Sep 12, 2013
    Smart Red

Smart Red Member

As usual, your growing zone will determine what types of grass do well in your area. In general, however, the best grasses for shady yards are fescues. Kentucky blue-grass is the preferred grass for sunny yards. Many lawn-grass mixes will have both fescues and blue-grass seeds. As the grasses grow, the fescues will do better and eventually fill the lawn in the shade while the bluegrass will thrive in the sun, giving you a happy lawn.