Growing Bamboo

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by PlushPickens, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I have always wanted to raise bamboo. Solely for the bamboo. How tall do they get? What are the best varieties, and are there any I should avoid. I understand bamboo is easy to grow, but I have also heard it grows like a weed.

2. Apr 11, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I'm sure a nursery could tell you the best to grow in your area. Yes, I have heard that it can grow very fast and spread like crazy so you would have to keep up with it if you don't want it to totally take over your yard.

3. Apr 11, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

I actually had a bamboo plant that was growing inside but I managed to kill it. I am not sure where you are located so telling you what is best for your area is difficult. I agree with Suzy though if you talk to an arborist at a nursery they would surely know.

4. Apr 11, 2012
    Fryar

Fryar New Member

I don't think it's hard to grow because I've seen it growing in vases with just water, I think. I'm sure sooner or later you have to transplant it. I don't think it would grow outside in cold climates.

5. Apr 12, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I am in the south, and I see bamboo growing here even during winter. There seems to be large thickets of the stuff and it gets crazy tall! I have seen some bamboo plants that seemed to have a small circumference and some so large you could use it as a drinking cup. I do not know what kinds of bamboo we have here, but it must be easy to grow.

6. Sep 12, 2013
    so lucky

so lucky New Member

In Bellingrath Gardens in Alabama there is bamboo growing with trunks (?) about 8" across, and very tall. I'm sure it has been growing for many years. Be careful what kind you get, as some kinds are invasive. I have heard that you can sink a metal washtub with the bottom cut out, and plant the bamboo in that, to keep the roots and runners in check. I think the really desirable bamboo is pretty expensive, but can be purchased on line from a nursery. I have always wanted to grow some, too.

7. Sep 16, 2013
    Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

There are dozens of different varieties of Bamboo from 6 inch tall to 100 ft, so choose wisely.
    All bamboo grows like crazy because it’s just like grass so treat it exactly the same.
    It’s very to maintain and you can be a rough with it as you like, it still grows back beautiful..

8. Sep 16, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty Administrator Staff Member

I love that it grows quickly, but I'll never forget the service project as a kid trying to remove it from someone's yard. Saws got gummed up, my machete bounced off of them, etc. Pretty much nothing made it "easy" to get rid of the stuff... at least nothing we tried.

9. Sep 16, 2013
    Brian Collins

Brian Collins New Member

Did you ever think of trying a couple of Pandas.. :D