Good plant for a privacy wall

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by handystan, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Jan 21, 2007
    handystan

handystan New Member

Hello everyone,

I want to create a privacy wall out of plants. I already built the trellis, but i am unsure of what plant would grow quickly to cover the 10ft trellis. It must tolerate full sun in zone 7.:confused:

2. Jan 30, 2007
    buzzSaw

buzzSaw New Member

I have a large grape plant that would make a pretty good wall covering. Also you might try wisteria or a climbing Jasmin. Hope that helps

3. Mar 10, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

We've used the Jasmin and Honeysuckle before and both are good. I like the Honeysuckle best because it seems to smell better. Then of course you need to watch out for the Bees that love it too!

4. Apr 8, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

Do you like Bougainvilleas? I'm pretty sure they will cover a 10ft trellis. They also have thorns on them, so that will re-enforce your privacy. Although, I don't know the zone, you may want to check that.

5. Apr 8, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

We have a lot of wisteria where I live and it is beautiful. However I have never seen it used for a privacy fence. Around here everyone either has hedges or small trees for privacy fences.

6. Sep 12, 2013
    ChickAdee

ChickAdee New Member

How about autumn clematis? The vines become thick and bushy and it creates a stunning carpet of white blooms in August. Once established, you can prune to your heart's content to keep it in shape.

Another vine with lots of visual interest is porcelain berry vine. It is also a thick and fast growing vine, with variegated leaves and eye-catching berries that go from from purple to robin egg blue to white. Could be a bit invasive in your hardiness zone though.

Or for more instant gratification, maybe consider one of the many varieties of passionvine. They are quick to establish themselves, however they are an annual.