Ebay or store...best place to tool hunt?

Discussion in 'Tool Discussion' started by palefrost, Dec 13, 2006.

1. Dec 13, 2006
    palefrost

palefrost New Member

Everything is online nowdays and i troll ebay as a matter of course but where in general do people shop for there tools. I know some special tools have to be obtained at obscere vendors but what is the best place for quality tools at bargain prices?

2. Dec 14, 2006
    eleet34

eleet34 New Member

I would recommend Harbor Freight for the best prices. It is unbelievable how low you can buy some items there. I would say get your basic tools at a store like that and go for more known/high-end brands when buying performance tools.

I've never tried ebay for tools, mainly because I'm too impatient, but I'm sure you can find good deals there on some expensive tools.

3. Dec 15, 2006
    palefrost

palefrost New Member

My brother got some good tools off of ebay, stubby wrenches and ratchet ring wrenchs and for the buisness my father got chop saws and a magnetic drill all for great prices. But i will be sure to check out Harbour Freight, thanks:)

4. Dec 16, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

I was going to suggest Harbor Freight, as well. My husband's eyes glaze over when he goes in there. Heck, his eyes glaze over when he gets a sales paper. LOL If they don't have a store near you, they DO have a website: www.harborfreight.com.

5. Dec 26, 2006
    Taggart

Taggart New Member

Thanks for the information. In Ontario, where I live I'd check out Home Depot or Canadian Tire.

I think I'd be more likely to buy a tool on Ebay if I was familiar with the specific brand and model.

I've also seen some great deals at Costco. ;)

6. Jan 20, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

I use ebay to purchase tools but always know which tools I want to buy having seen them in the store previous.
    I am a great believer in you get what you pay for but on ebay you can generally get good brand equipment for much less than in stores. As with all second hand stuff you need to take care what you buy of course.

7. Mar 27, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

How about Craig's List? I have never bought anything from there, but my brother always seems to find something really good at a really good price there. He is a pretty diligent shopper though.

8. Mar 28, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

I don't think Harbor Freight has quality products, they may be cheaper but they are not good quality. I buy most of my tools at Sears. I've never bought them off E-bay.

9. Mar 28, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Sears and some local building supply companies have always been my go-to places for tools. I've picked up some from estate sales and yard sales, but only if I could examine them and get a really good deal. Some of the old tools are the best tools.

10. Apr 13, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

I can remember my dad always complaining that Sears was overpriced. I have never bought any tools there, so I don't know. Does anyone agree? Although, I don't think bargains and quality go together.

11. Apr 14, 2012
    fixerupper

fixerupper New Member

It really depends on what quality of tools you are looking for. I know my dad will not buy anything but Craftsman (from Sears or Kmart) or Snap On (from an individual salesman). Harbor Freight sells cheap tools but they aren't good quality.