Dog House

Discussion in 'Woodworking and Carpentry' started by Farrahcat, Jan 20, 2007.

1. Jan 20, 2007
    Farrahcat

Farrahcat New Member

After I renovate my room, this would be my next project. Can you recommend a good but inexpensive wood for a dog house?

For those who already built one...is it hard to build a dog house? I absolutely have no carpentry skills but I just want to try.

2. Jan 20, 2007
    dumbledork

dumbledork New Member

Me too! I also need help with this.

3. Mar 8, 2007
    eleet34

eleet34 New Member

I know pine is pretty inexpensive, so you might want to see about sheeting. It's not that hard to make if you have a circular saw. If you don't and plan on using a handsaw...I would say it will take some time and you will probably be sore the next day.

I'll bet if you google "doghouse" there will be a site that gives you the exact dimensions to cut the wood, then all you do is hammer the nails in and do whatever they suggest to protect from the elements.

Doghouses are expensive so let me know how it turns out and how much it costs for materials if you do it.

4. Apr 22, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

Pressure treated wood is toxic and will be harmful to your dog if he swallows it, so don't use this kind. I would look at cedar wood. It's durable, rot and insect resistant.

5. Apr 22, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

We used tongue and groove boards for our dog houses. We even shingled the top of the houses. They are cool looking (like mini houses). I did not help build them, I only helped pick out colors.