Daylight savings time means changing batteries

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by Howdie, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Apr 14, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

We forgot to change the batteries in our fire detectors, and we just realized it after a neighborhood house caught on fire. The batteries in the smoke detector had died, rendering the detector useless. The family inside were lucky in that they woke up. They might not have done so. Remember to always change your batteries when you reset the clocks.

2. Apr 15, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

Great tip! I always change my batteries when we change the clocks. My daughter actually reminds me to do this - it is something they learned in school. Sorry to hear about your neighbors house!

3. Apr 16, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Yeah, it was a disaster and I think this particular time they could have had a tragic ending had they not awakened on their own. It's so easy to become overcome by fumes and sleep through a fire until it's too late. There's no excusing not having working batteries in a smoke detector.

4. Apr 16, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Does anyone know if the batteries last 8 months? Now that they've changed the dates for Daylight Savings, there are 4 months of standard time and 8 months of daylight time.

5. Apr 16, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

The instructions to our smoke detectors said that the detectors will go off (of course in the middle of the night, waking you up and scaring you to death!) when the batteries are starting to get low. Ours have gone off twice, and we've changed them twice. So, that's a good warning and reminder.

6. Apr 17, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

Wow. I feel really dumb now. I forgot that the detectors chirp when the batteries are low. That being the case then, what's the point of changing them at daylight savings time? Just wait until they start annoying you. ;)

7. Apr 20, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Actually, I think yours and Howdie's ideas are better. I hate when those things go off during the night! Especially when you have to work in the morning. That doesn't happen often, but when it does it IS annoying. If you can prevent that, then by all means do!