Cement Shingles

Discussion in 'Roofing and Siding' started by Yoohoo, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 18, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I just saw a house with cement shingles. They sound good since they have a 100 year lifetime, but apparently insurance companies don't like them; presumably the shingles cost a great deal to replace.

2. Apr 18, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Seriously? Cement shingles - that is something I've never seen. Aren't they heavy? I would think that the weight of the shingle and the weight of snow (winter) could be damaging to a home. I don't think I would want them.

3. Apr 19, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

They sound heavy to me. I'd hate to get up on that roof on my knees when repairing them. A tree falling on them would cause a problem, I'll bet. Then they would be expensive to replace.

4. Apr 19, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I'm sure they are very heavy, so the supporting underlayment must be extra sturdy to support them. I live in Florida and saw them near the beach, so snow isn't a concern here. :)

5. Apr 20, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I have never heard of them either. I'd have to check into them more thoroughly just to see how they are suppose to be 'better' then others. Just sounds strange having cement shingles.

6. Apr 26, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

Are cement shingles the same as tile shingles, or are they different. I think I've seen both, but I'm not sure. Tile roofs are expensive to replace if doing the entire roof, but single tiles here and there won't cost too much, I don't think. Now, I'm not sure about cement shingles.

7. Sep 27, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

I think everyone's got roofing shingles and cement siding shingles confused. Cement fibrous siding is available. I sharpen carbide saws as a sideline and a guy brought me a cement fiber saw blade to sharpen. I told him I couldn't do it because the teeth are already embedded with diamond dust.