Ceiling Fans Are Inexpensive

Discussion in 'Electrical And Lighting' started by bra, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Oct 29, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Hi,
    I remember when ceiling fans where expensive and kind of rare to see. They used to be like, oh AWESOME, you have a ceiling fan.

Now you can go to Walmart for 13 bucks and buy ceiling fans in every room. I highly recommend doing this. I did it and I'm happy.

PS. You dont have to buy the cheap 13 dollar ones though, but if you do, dont leave any water on them when you wash the blades, they do warp / soak up the water quickly and easily. But that is your 13 dollars worth.

Have fun with this easy project.

2. Oct 30, 2006
    tater03

tater03 New Member

My problem with ceiling fans is that I forget about dusting them. I cannot tell you how many times I have accidently hit the blades or turned them on high and had dust fly everywhere. But you are right they have become a lot more popular in recent years and a lot more cheaper.

3. Oct 30, 2006
    bra

bra New Member

Yeah when i cleaned my ceiling fan blades I did not get it dry enough. I used warm water and dawn soap to cut the yukky grease. Instead of drying them off right away I though I'd let them drip dry. Thats when I noticed the blades being made mabe out of pressed or particle board. So you cant let those cheapies have any water setting on them for even a few minutes or you'll notice some bubbles. Then you'll have friction I imagine if the warps are very big.

Replacing the blades is an option, i guess, but I'm not sure how much they cost. I have replaced the glass covers on ceiling fans without too much cost in the past.

4. Oct 30, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

My question is, do they really save you that much in electricity? I mean, I realize they draw less electric than an air conditioner, but do they really pay for themselves?

5. Oct 30, 2006
    eldragon

eldragon New Member

Here in the south, ceiling fans are a must.

We have 8 in our house. (Our living room has 2.)

We use them pretty much year around. They are on reverse when it gets cold, because we have 12 foot ceilings. It really helps spread the warmth from the fireplace.

We have some $40 Walmart fans and some $200 Lowes fans. I really like the Lowes fan I have in the kitchen - it's cherry red and stainless steel. Very nice!

Sometime, take a look in Amazon and check out some of the high-end fans they have. There are fans on that website that sell for over $5K!

6. Oct 30, 2006
    wondering

wondering New Member

I think it's so amazing the things that you can get for cheap that can raise your property value. 13 bucks - what a steal.

7. Oct 31, 2006
    ItsComeToThis

ItsComeToThis New Member

Im amazed at how gorgeous and ornate some fans are. Absolutely beautiful! And they do wonders for your heating/cooling bill, keepin cool air circulated in summer and warm air in winter. Just remember to switch the direction of your fans based on the season.

8. Nov 1, 2006
    destiny_star2006

destiny_star2006 New Member

celing fans looks very posh and your correct are now so in expensive and give your home a luxury feel although i doubt i will be buying one as i havent the faintest idea of where or how to start it any tips from anyone?

9. Nov 4, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

I remember when my family moved into a new house about 15 years ago, and there were 2 ceiling fans and the whole family was like 'oooohhhhh...ahhhhhh'. ;) It definately wasn't a common thing, and it was still relatively expensive back then. My parents are still in the same home and now every bedroom has a ceiling fan (4 bedrooms) along with the kitchen and living room. I know the fans were fairly inexpensive, but I had the same trouble about forgetting to dust. ;)

10. Nov 5, 2006
    dumbledork

dumbledork New Member

electrician

I thought that you had to have an electrician put in a ceiling fan. Can you do it yourself and if so could someone give me some tips.

11. Nov 7, 2006
    OneHandyGal

OneHandyGal New Member

ineedhelp, you don't have to use an electrician if you don't want, although I'd personally recommend it. My brother's an electrician, so he just installed them.

There are many sites on the internet that can help you with installation, and sometimes the fans also come with instructions themselves. I presonally wouldn't try this on my own because I have no electrical experience whatsoever.

12. Nov 7, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

Actually, my husband has put in several ceiling fans, and he's not an electrician. If you follow the directions, they're not that hard to install.

13. Nov 8, 2006
    penguinmama

penguinmama New Member

Agreeing with mamab. My husband installed several of ours, and I read him the instructions. I believe I could have done it myself if I had found it necessary.

14. Nov 8, 2006
    mynameisCat

mynameisCat New Member

If you can wire in a new ceiling fixture, you can wire in a ceiling fan. If you're nervous about wiring in a new ceiling fixture, hire somebody or talk somebody who isn't nervous about it to do it! :)

15. Nov 10, 2006
    Stephanie2377

Stephanie2377 New Member

You definitely don't need an electrician to put in a ceiling fan. My husband has done in on numerous occasions. If you are nervous, you could always have someone come check it. I'd bet.. if you asked around, you'd find someone who has put them in before who wouldn't mind taking a peek.

Luckily, my husband works for the fire dept. All of those guys have second jobs, and many of them are carpenters, floor installers, electricians, etc.

16. Nov 16, 2006
    roro

roro New Member

Yep! They truly do add to a room when you see it without one and than install one, it is amazing how it improves the room. It will cause you to want to do more to that area, including interior decor. I love the way they look when the lights are dim and you are watching the blades turning. The sounds are sooothing, if you pay attention, they will literally lull you to sleep.
    I have mine running almost 24/7, even in the winter on low helping the heat to circulate and keep the room from getting stuffy.

17. Dec 17, 2006
    sweet_mayhem

sweet_mayhem New Member

oh we have the same problem with our hanging lamp! we completely forgot to dust the curly cord which holds the lamp itself. now it looks not dusty--but grimy! eeeewwww...

18. Dec 26, 2006
    riskey58

riskey58 New Member

Hello

We have three ceiling fans in are house I think they are great. And I agree they are not expensive. We use ours all the time I love them.

19. Dec 27, 2006
    sarahlorrain

sarahlorrain New Member

I've never done it myself, but my husband has. It seemed relatively easy. I would ask around, see if any friend's husband/fathers/brothers know how, and ask for a quick lesson! It's definately worth it! You can get a good cheap one from walmart or home depot, etc for about thirty or so bucks. I are one by one putting them in every room.

20. Jan 2, 2007
    ljk19

ljk19 New Member

My husband has also installed ceiling fans and so has my friend's husband. The only thing he said was that they were really heavy so it made it more difficult. For that reason, it was good that he had a friend there to help him and you might want to do the same if you're planning on doing it yourself.