Brick/decorative blocks around flowers

Discussion in 'Concrete and Masonry' started by JenP, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Apr 22, 2012
    JenP

JenP New Member

My aunt just had a brick/block boundary around her flower beds. It looks so great. I am thinking of doing this too. It was decorative brick - she had 3 layers put down. Anyone have anything like this?

2. Apr 23, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

No, but I have been wanting to do something like this forever! I'm glad to hear you say it turned out beautiful, good incentive! I also would like to do a raised flower bed using this method.

3. Apr 23, 2012
    SuzyD

SuzyD New Member

I haven't done this myself but have seen some houses that it was done around the flower beds. I saw one that was around a big Oak tree with lots of flowers inside of it. Looked real nice.

4. Apr 23, 2012
    hammers

hammers New Member

Oh I love this idea ~ now I'm going to look for decorative bricks to put around my beds. I never thought about putting anything around the trees in the yard. I bet that was pretty cool. I wonder what kind of flowers though - with the roots of the tree being right there.

5. Apr 24, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

Just be sure you have someone cutting the grass around these things who don't mind the extra work. I find a weed eater works well, but not putting them there in the first place works best for someone who just likes to ride the mower over all the grass surfaces.

6. Apr 24, 2012
    PlushPickens

PlushPickens New Member

Yeah, Howdie has a good point, and you will need a weed eater or other tools for these borders. We have lawn maintenance, so this isn't a worry for us. They look really nice and add charm to a yard. I love them.

7. Apr 25, 2012
    Yoohoo

Yoohoo New Member

I love the way brick and stone borders look around a raised bed but I agree that it necessitates a weed whacker to cut nearby grass. I guess you could surround the brick with gravel so the grass doesn't grow right up to the brick and you could use a mower but I don't know how nice that would look.

8. Apr 25, 2012
    Howdie

Howdie New Member

My bud's wife loves flowers, but he won't let her plant them just anywhere. He has given her one big area, surrounded by a gravel circular drive where she can plant to her heart's content. The rest of the yard is off limits. He has a huge yard and uses a tractor to mow the grass.