angled window in chicken coop

Discussion in 'General Exterior Repair Discussion' started by Canesisters, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Sep 20, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

When I first got into chickens, I was given a shed to use as a coop (I have GREAT neighbors!!). I've made LOTS of changes over the past year (floor.... door... window... etc) but I'm stumped by the 'vent' at the back.
    The shed is 8'x8' - 2 sheets of plywood on each side with 2 triangle pieces added at the 'tall' ends (gable ends??) - except for that 'vent'. They left one of the triangles off and stapled fence wire over that space. The roof is metal and there is NO overhang on the gable ends.
    The 'vent' does a good job of keeping it reasonable cool. But when it's storming, the wind blows just right and it rains down on the chickens roosting inside.
    There is nothing above it other than a 2x4 - so not a lot to work with.
    So - 2 issues.
    1. I do as little ladder work as possible so whatever the solution might be, it needs to include me not doing a lot of reaching, streatching, leaning and lifting at the top of a 12' ladder.
    2. It needs to be something that can be opened and closed depending on the weather (see #1 - no ladder involved if at all possible)
    3. my great neighbors are wonderful for loaning/giving things but are way to busy to help with chicken-related building projects so it needs to be something I can manage alone
    When we had a hurrican blow in last fall I stapled plastic over it. That stayed there till I took a rake and shreaded it earlier this summer. (again... not a fan of ladders)
    I'm sure there is probably an easy solution that I'm just not thinking of because all I can see is the ladder and the long drop to the ground. LOL

These were taken back when I first started working on it.
    coop 5.31.12.JPG
    (that window on the ground has been installed in the wall to the left)
    roof wire question.jpg
    (the arrow was another issue... it's the big triangle behind it that I need help with)

2. Sep 21, 2013
    HayZee518

HayZee518 Member

why don't you make a slatted triangle that'll fit the existing opening. angle the slats so they point away from the outside wall and at the bottom install an angled drip edge. any rain will drip off the slats and off the drip edge onto the ground while maintaining air flow out of the building. you don't like ladders, well, get someone to do the work for you. happy chickening!

3. Sep 21, 2013
    Judy

Judy New Member

I like the slatted idea. Whatever you do, if that's the only place humidity and ammonia from the chickens can escape that's high in the building, then it should really be open air, one way or another.

How you would manage it without a ladder, I don't know, though.

4. Sep 23, 2013
    Canesisters

Canesisters Member

HayZee, how would I build that?? If it could be something that would be lifted up and screwed into place... I could probably manage it.
    Maybe I could use some sort of plastic for the slats so it wouldn't be too heavy...

Judy, that's not the only place for air flow, but it's the major one. And being so high, I think that it sorta 'drives' the whole intake/outflow thing. There is a 1" gap all along the roof line on the other 2 sides, a large window on the east side and a screen door on the north side. This vent is on the south side.

5. Aug 11, 2019
    Kamnera

Kamnera New Member

Hi, With some programs the window is bigger than the Minis screen and you cant get to the buttons at the bottom as it wont resize or anything. Does anyone know how to fix that?