A Green house with straw walls.

Discussion in 'Green Building and Topics' started by echos, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Oct 30, 2006
    echos

echos New Member

Howdy, Has anyone had any experience with the greenhouses that are made, or particialy made, from straw bales? I am seriously considering it as my next gareden project, and Thankx, in advance, Echos

2. Oct 31, 2006
    mamab

mamab New Member

I hadn't heard of using straw bales for a greenhouse, but there's a house up north of where I live that used straw bales for the outside walls. It was built in the late 1800's (I think) and is a "tourist" attraction. It sounds like it should work, since all you really need to worry about is the glass at the top to create the "greenhouse" effect.

3. Jan 20, 2007
    wayne

wayne New Member

Interesting idea and something which I am sure you will find more information on an internet search of straw buildings. Basically as long as the walls are rendered then you can have a structure which will last for many years .

4. Mar 28, 2012
    Robbie

Robbie New Member

I have heard of using straw bales for insulation and energy efficiency in walls of homes before, but not greenhouses. I don't see why the same concept wouldn't work. A google search would have worlds of info as wayne has stated.

5. Mar 28, 2012
    Darla

Darla New Member

I have not heard of using straw bales to make a greenhouse, only a house that is more green. I think you build walls out of the straw bales and use plaster over that.